Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By joining the Lincoln MKS Forum, you'll enjoy these site benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Finding the key fob inside the car

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HiTek

HiTek

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:47 PM

Yeah, it sounds stupid. It IS stupid.

I was driving one day in my MKS EcoBoost and the key fob slipped out of my pocket. I had been sure it was in my right pocked and fell near where the seatbelt comes up from the floor (I keep the seat pretty far back). I heard it make a sound like it hit the metal floor (odd), then slide on metal (odd) on the next corner I rounded at speed.

Looking for it, I found the MKS has HUGE, gaping cuts in the carpet under the seat, as well as an open seam under the seat where the front seat carpet overlaps the rear seat carpet. I reached everywhere. I removed some trim pieces and pealed back the carpet. I tried feeling for the bump in the carpet, but parts of it have a hardened structure that act as the actual floor and you cannot feel anything through. I tried using foil to shield portions of the car from the antennas to narrow down where it may be.

I cannot find the darn thing. I am second guessing was it in the other pocket? Did I set it on the tunnel and it fell to the passenger side? Did it slide far to the front or rear? I doubt any of of these but I tried checking anyway. I am open to any ideas. I wish I had a way to track it down using RF to zero right in on it.

On the plus side, I never forget my key. I use the code to enter and 7/8 + 9/0 to lock.

But I'd really like the option of not always having the key in the car!

Jim

Edited by HiTek, 11 December 2011 - 01:49 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Nevada Rick

Nevada Rick

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Lincoln MKS

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

I really hope you find your fob. Sorry but I can't help it--I laughed. :hysterical:
  • nkpdblue likes this

#3 OFFLINE   HiTek

HiTek

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:32 PM

I really hope you find your fob. Sorry but I can't help it--I laughed. :hysterical:

It IS funny!

#4 OFFLINE   IrishSCD

IrishSCD

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 MKS
  • Interests:Life

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

Did you name your fob? You could try calling it's name out............ I shouldn't laugh, cause now it's going to happen to me. Did you ever find it?

#5 OFFLINE   ctrcbob

ctrcbob

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

Give us an update! Did you ever find the fob?
Bob CTRC
USN Ret.

Mt. Dora, FL (It Could Be Better)
Penfield, NY (A Quiet Suburb)
Roswell, NM (Alien Central)

2010 Ford Taurus SHO
2011 Lincoln MKZ

#6 OFFLINE   nkpdblue

nkpdblue

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 MKS

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

We have an invisible fence for our dogs and the installer could find a lost collar with a frequency finder thingy. Maybe the dealer would know the frequency-- you could try tuning in to it with a small radio. I think it makes a humming noise when near... (?)
(sorry, that's the best I'v got--lol)

#7 OFFLINE   TSS1

TSS1

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 MKS Ecoboost; K&N CAI; Livernois Tune; Tint; factory 20 inch Permachromes

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

Tell iyour child/grandchild that you lost a hundred dollar bill in there. If they find it, they can have it....and if they happen to find the fob in their searches.............

#8 OFFLINE   moniquaw

moniquaw

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKS AWD

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

I can totally relate -- since my husband was using my MKS one day and "lost" the fob in my car somewhere.  Fortunately, I do have another key fob, but I sure would like to find the one that is in the car.  Because it is in the car somewhere, I cannot lock the car doors by simply pressing the power lock button.  I was also wondering if there is some sort of "tracking device" for this key fob that appears to be lost in the bowels of my MKS!

#9 OFFLINE   TSS1

TSS1

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 MKS Ecoboost; K&N CAI; Livernois Tune; Tint; factory 20 inch Permachromes

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:09 AM

key fob that appears to be lost in the bowels of my MKS!

I would definitely wash that thing when you find it. 

#10 OFFLINE   lucwolf

lucwolf

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2010 MKS
  • My MKS: mymks

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:04 PM

I can relate to this problem.  You can lock the vehicle by pressing the 78/90 lit buttons at the same time.  HOWEVER...anyone running their hand down the keypad can open the car.  Not a likely occurrence,, but who knows?

#11 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 442 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:51 AM

I can relate to this problem.  You can lock the vehicle by pressing the 78/90 lit buttons at the same time.  HOWEVER...anyone running their hand down the keypad can open the car.  Not a likely occurrence,, but who knows?

That's not true, it will only open from the keypad if it detects a different fob outside the car.  Once you lock it with the 78/90 buttons, the keyfob inside the car is completely disabled, it would not work even if you broke the window and grabbed the fob and took it out of the car.

• brucelinc likes this

#12 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental 3.0 twin turbo

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:26 AM

That's not true, it will only open from the keypad if it detects a different fob outside the car.  Once you lock it with the 78/90 buttons, the keyfob inside the car is completely disabled, it would not work even if you broke the window and grabbed the fob and took it out of the car.

This misunderstanding of the system pops up from time to time.  The system is MUCH more "intelligent" than many people realize.

#13 OFFLINE   spiked

spiked

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2010 MKS EcoBoost

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:06 AM

I guess you found it by now.If not pull the seats.

#14 OFFLINE   acolds

acolds

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2015 mks

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:15 PM

don't forget the underseat  duct for rear seat heat  under each front seat

#15 OFFLINE   scbird1

scbird1

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:54 PM

My wife was playing with her ring in the car when oops it pops out of her hand and goes under the seat. I stopped and looked and I have never seen so many wires and controls but we could not find it. Later that day I moved the seat all the way back and up then all the way to the front. With a small very bright flash light I found it in one of those little cut outs under the seat. You could even try a powerful magnet like the ones used in hard drives. The battery in the fob should be magnetic. Hope this helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·