Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By joining the Lincoln MKS Forum, you'll enjoy these site benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Transmisson fluid change help please

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zorba02

zorba02

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln MKS 2010 FWD

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:33 AM

Hi, I own MKS 2010 FWD, so far the car runs great at 33k miles. I'm wondering if somebody know when to replace transmission fluid my service advisor told me 100k wich is hard to belive? Do you guys have any experience with this case? Thank you in advance.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Nevada Rick

Nevada Rick

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Lincoln MKS

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:25 AM

Hi, I own MKS 2010 FWD, so far the car runs great at 33k miles. I'm wondering if somebody know when to replace transmission fluid my service advisor told me 100k wich is hard to belive? Do you guys have any experience with this case? Thank you in advance.

Check your owner's manual. My 2009 manual stated 100K as does my new 2011.
If Ford wasn't confident with that number, they wouldn't put a 50K warranty on the car.
The old days of 3K oil changes are long gone. Technology, fluids and engine materials have allowed longer periods between regular maintenance.

#3 OFFLINE   zorba02

zorba02

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln MKS 2010 FWD

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

Check your owner's manual. My 2009 manual stated 100K as does my new 2011.
If Ford wasn't confident with that number, they wouldn't put a 50K warranty on the car.
The old days of 3K oil changes are long gone. Technology, fluids and engine materials have allowed longer periods between regular maintenance.

Thank you for the info.

#4 OFFLINE   MKS14_Chicago

MKS14_Chicago

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2014 MKS,2002 Audi S8
  • My MKS: mymks

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:41 PM

Any updates on fluid change?

Is the trans filter possible to replace?

Service advisor is a bit confused when i asked him.

I am at 36k miles and i spend a lot of time in traffic.

I bought the car with 17k and it shifted a little bit smoother then.

#5 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 442 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

Trans fluid is "lifetime", which in Ford speak means 150K miles.

#6 OFFLINE   MKS14_Chicago

MKS14_Chicago

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 MKS,2002 Audi S8

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:03 PM

Thats what the dealer says,but i dont really  believe that unless someone with 150k on the clock comes and tells me that he has no issues.

#7 OFFLINE   lincwitsync

lincwitsync

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln MKS
  • Interests:Lincoln, Music, Family

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:24 AM

Oils/Greases are much better than say 20 years ago. Lincoln doesn't make transmission fluid easily accessible on these newer cars. You can't even check the fluid on the MKS unless you access the filler cap underneath the car. There is no dipstick! I'm thinking that lifetime claim may be valid.

Personally, I have not had good luck with transmission flushes as a preventative maintenance on any of my past vehicles. I believe that system is flawed because of how it dislodges debris through the transmission. I've replaced 3 transmissions on 3 separate vehicles (all GM cars) and I link it to transmission flushes. This is only my opinion, but after spending $1500-$2500 to rebuild a transmission I needed to reconsider what I was doing wrong. My last 3 vehicles have not been flushed/changed. I have no drivability issues and they still have the original transmission. My MKS currently has 106,000 miles and it's going strong.

Linc

• djbanas@icloud.com likes this

#8 OFFLINE   djbanas@icloud.com

djbanas@icloud.com

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 MKS Base

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:16 AM

I can certainly identify clearly with the opinion of "linkwitsync" - I too have had issues in the past with flushes; however, I was usually flushing a transmission that had 60 or 80k miles on the clock (being a buyer mostly in the used market in my earlier years).  That being said, since 1998 I have bought only new cars - and if I am the one taking care of the vehicle, then I DEFINITELY recommend changing the fluid - and doing so via a flush (I did mine at Valvoline) at a minimum every 50k miles. I do my fluid flushes every 30k miles because I drive in the city a lot. I would recommend doing a filter change at 100k miles because they do have to take some stuff apart (not sure what, but it's not ridiculous like having to unbolt the transmission - that's crazy), but just keep flushing between now and every 100k.

In our 6F50's (and 6F55 for the EcoBoost group), the whole deal with Mercon LV (low viscosity) is that its viscosity rating is about 5.9 versus the 7's or maybe 8's of other traditional transmission fluids. I have done research on this extensively, and found that the Valvoline Global ATF fluid is indeed LV-compliant because it is (1) full-synthetic, and (2) its viscosity is also rated at 5.9; so, I felt very comfortable flushing with that fluid as opposed to going to the actual Lincoln-Mercury dealer to do a Motorcraft Mercon LV flush. That being said, it is likely that some of the "friction modifiers" - the special sauce - between the Valvoline and Mercon LV aren't identical, so just keep that in mind; however, I can say that having 10k miles on a Valvoline Global ATF flush with my 2012 MKS has been trouble-free and I'm more concerned about the fluid being clean rather than it identically matching down to the molecule.

Now, what is interesting about the "LV" fluid is that it appears to oxidize more quickly than a more highly viscous fluid; however, the clear upside of using this fluid is that its lower viscosity allows for faster fluid flow - especially in the cold weather, not only enabling better fuel economy due to less viscous resistance, but much quicker lubrication over the moving parts. So, to me, a fluid like LV or Valvoline Global Multi ATF is well worth all the trade offs. The nice thing is, we have standard oil cooling on the D3 platform with trans cooler lines running through the bottom of the radiator (the cooler end of the radiator), but if you wanted you could potentially upgrade that cooling setup via the aftermarket - just make sure to add more fluid if your aftermarket cooler is bigger than factory - but you know that.

I have used Dash Command on my OBD-II sensors around the vehicle, and I can say that I have not seen the transmission temperature go above 170F in city driving; I have not done this test on a long trip, however - so that means this transmission isn't a hot-runner (I have the 3.7L FWD), and maybe because it's 'ready' for AWD, I honestly don't know - but I didn't see that temp go above 170F -- maybe if it's 98F outside, and I'm sitting a while in traffic - I'll have to test it this summer and find out.

As for flushing - if you are not comfortable with flushing, then definitely go to a dealer (or only a very trusted shade-tree guy/gal who knows 6F's to have the trans service completed); and you can expect to pay about $120 for a shade-tree guy/gal or $250 for a dealer, including the filter change.

I love this transmission, even if the coasting-fuel-cut-off program likes to fight with me for control over the unit; but hey - my heavy foot wins that fight every time...

Edited by djbanas@icloud.com, 07 April 2017 - 09:40 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   lincwitsync

lincwitsync

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:26 AM

Wow Djbanas, that was a very detailed reply. I was unaware of the extremely Low Viscosity fluid that Ford uses in these units. This is not my post but this was very informative. I'm still leery of the flushing though. Like you said, maybe I should consider verifying that the shade tree dealer mechanic works on mine should I decide to change my mind.

Thanks

Linc

• djbanas@icloud.com likes this

#10 OFFLINE   lincwitsync

lincwitsync

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:32 AM

I have been visiting other forums and reading member's comments about the 6F55 transmission.  As I am understanding, the transmission filter is typically not a serviceable component because it isn't easily accessible. Is it true that the transmission must be opened up?. Has anyone had the filter actually changed in this transmission as a normal service? I am curious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·