Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By joining the Lincoln MKS Forum, you'll enjoy these site benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Tire Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Armjim

Armjim

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Cars and Music, my family and friends

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:50 AM

At 43, 000 miles on my 2009 MKS FWD I was just informed by the garage I took my car to for an oil change, tire rotation and leaking tire repair that I need new tires, and they recommended I not have them rotated at this point. I have the original Goodyears on 19 wheels. They gave me a price for Michellin Pilot A/S of $400 each. I can beat that price from Tire Rack or Discount Tire and have them shipped and mounted there. I am just wondering if any of you have switched from the OEM Goodyear tires to a Michellin or Continental tires and could tell a real difference in noise or wear as well as handling. I also need new rear brake pads. Interestingly the front pads still have good life.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Rabbit MKS

Rabbit MKS

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:24 AM

At 43, 000 miles on my 2009 MKS FWD I was just informed by the garage I took my car to for an oil change, tire rotation and leaking tire repair that I need new tires, and they recommended I not have them rotated at this point. I have the original Goodyears on 19 wheels. They gave me a price for Michellin Pilot A/S of $400 each. I can beat that price from Tire Rack or Discount Tire and have them shipped and mounted there. I am just wondering if any of you have switched from the OEM Goodyear tires to a Michellin or Continental tires and could tell a real difference in noise or wear as well as handling. I also need new rear brake pads. Interestingly the front pads still have good life.

Recently I changed all the 4 tires from Goodyear (hopeless tires) to Pirelli P Zero. I had been suffering with Goodyear tyres for about an year and finally I changed to Pirelli. Now my car is good with excellent road grip and steering maneuverability. Of course! There a slight difference in riding comfort and noise level. Comfort has gone down a bit and noise has gone up by about 10 - 15%. But, the confidence level has doubled.

#3 OFFLINE   jlpellet

jlpellet

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:03 PM

I have the 22" on my '09 and in May replaced the stock Michelins with Continental Extreme Contact & have been very happy. Slightly softer ride over speed bumps and potholes, much better wet traction, & slightly better dry traction. Quieter as well & no change in steering to me. The OEM Michelins weren't at required replacement (4~5/32nd tread left in 20K miles) but a trip to Chicago in the rain made me decide to get better tires with deeper tread. I am happy with the Conti's.

#4 OFFLINE   Touringsedan

Touringsedan

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:05 PM

Recently I changed all the 4 tires from Goodyear (hopeless tires) to Pirelli P Zero. I had been suffering with Goodyear tyres for about an year and finally I changed to Pirelli. Now my car is good with excellent road grip and steering maneuverability. Of course! There a slight difference in riding comfort and noise level. Comfort has gone down a bit and noise has gone up by about 10 - 15%. But, the confidence level has doubled.

I am wondering about changing to the 20in brush 11 spoke OEM that were available for the 2009 MKS. I do not like the Goodyear and now I am told I much purchase new tires due the tire rot (major cracking) between the treads. I drive on the highways more than in the city. After researching on Tirerack and other sites; the 20 in with Michelin Primacy MXV4 seem to be a good buy with better than average reviews. My concerns is the dealer and the tire shop are telling me not too because I will not like them. My MKS is AWD and drives very well. I am trying to determine the best move for me. I like the looks of the 20in rims and a firmer ride does not bother me. My concern is tread ware and traction. I do over 40K miles a year driving and require something that lasts longer than 20K miles. I rotate tires every 5K miles and 4-wheel alignment every 6 months.
I am looking for reasons to move and then arguments why I need to stay. Is there any mechanical reason why I cannot go to the larger wheels and tires?
Thanks
Touringsedan
2009 Dark Ink Blue Metallic, cashmere, Ultimate pkg (no rear shade) and 19 in wheels
Ship date: 6/20/2008
Road Warrior

#5 OFFLINE   Armjim

Armjim

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Cars and Music, my family and friends

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:42 AM

I have read the various recommendations and really appreciated the responses. I think I am leaning towards the Continentals; I would really like to keep the interior as free of road noise as possible. What I am waiting for now is to see if there will be any deals towards Labor Day, such as buy 3 get one free. I need all 4 tires and sure would love to save some $$$.

#6 OFFLINE   kito2112

kito2112

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:34 PM

I am wondering about changing to the 20in brush 11 spoke OEM that were available for the 2009 MKS. I do not like the Goodyear and now I am told I much purchase new tires due the tire rot (major cracking) between the treads. I drive on the highways more than in the city. After researching on Tirerack and other sites; the 20 in with Michelin Primacy MXV4 seem to be a good buy with better than average reviews. My concerns is the dealer and the tire shop are telling me not too because I will not like them. My MKS is AWD and drives very well. I am trying to determine the best move for me. I like the looks of the 20in rims and a firmer ride does not bother me. My concern is tread ware and traction. I do over 40K miles a year driving and require something that lasts longer than 20K miles. I rotate tires every 5K miles and 4-wheel alignment every 6 months.
I am looking for reasons to move and then arguments why I need to stay. Is there any mechanical reason why I cannot go to the larger wheels and tires?
Thanks

I've got the 20's with the Michelin MXV4's, they ride great. Not sure about wear yet, they only have 10K on them.

Just got back from taking my parents to Sante Fe, a 2 hour round trip, and all they kept saying was how smooth this car is....They drive a 2010 E350! HA!
  • drbsr likes this

#7 OFFLINE   Nevada Rick

Nevada Rick

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Lincoln MKS

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

I've got the 20's with the Michelin MXV4's, they ride great. Not sure about wear yet, they only have 10K on them.

Just got back from taking my parents to Sante Fe, a 2 hour round trip, and all they kept saying was how smooth this car is....They drive a 2010 E350! HA!

I agree. The 20's are very nice. We had a 2009 with 19's and I think that the 20's on our 2011 (fwd) are quieter and have a nicer feel to them. Of coures, this could be due to changes in the suspension and sound suppression between the two model years, but nonetheless, I really like the 20" tires more than the 19's.
We just took a trip to Lake Tahoe, and on the way we took some really twisty roads with massive dips. It was literally like a roller coaster. Some of the turns came as a surprise and even managed to get some "chirps" from the tires during heavy steering, but the tires held. I am hoping that the tires are going to wear as well as some reviews have indicated.

#8 OFFLINE   chrimi

chrimi

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:benze

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

Hmm.....We just took a trip to Lake Tahoe, and on the way we took some really twisty roads with massive dips. It was literally like a roller coaster. Some of the turns came as a surprise and even managed to get some "chirps" from the tires during heavy steering, but the tires held. I am hoping that the tires are going to wear as well as some reviews have indicated

http://www.engineperformancechip.com/buick-c-4]Performance Chips For Buick[/url]

#9 OFFLINE   Nevada Rick

Nevada Rick

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Lincoln MKS

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

Hmm.....We just took a trip to Lake Tahoe, and on the way we took some really twisty roads with massive dips. It was literally like a roller coaster. Some of the turns came as a surprise and even managed to get some "chirps" from the tires during heavy steering, but the tires held. I am hoping that the tires are going to wear as well as some reviews have indicated

http://www.engineper...p.com/buick-c-4]Performance Chips For Buick[/url]

Gee, sounds exactly like our last trip to Tahoe. The road we took between US 95 in NV to 395 in CA (can't recall which road it was) was really fun, or very scary, depending on where you were sitting in the car. I was having a lot of fun, but my wife thought we were going to end up at the bottom of a gulch. Some of those turns and dips (sometimes at the same time) even got me a little nervous, especially the blind curves. And I thought the same as you; that it was exactly like a roller coaster.

#10 OFFLINE   Imaphaetonguy

Imaphaetonguy

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Lincoln MKS

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

Just installed a set of 245-45-20 Cooper RS3-A all season tires. (500 A A rating). (these tires are now OE on Rousch factory Mustangs).

Very noticeable improvement in ride firmness. (which I liked over the OE Goodyears). Great water dispersion. I live in FL, and can't tell you about cold or snow conditions. Set of tires installed were a reasonable $760 at local dealer. No noticeable difference in noise over the first 500 miles, only time will tell if noise becomes an issue as the miles add up.

#11 OFFLINE   barney

barney

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Lincoln MKS

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

I'm still running on my OEM 18" Goodyear Assurance Comfortred with about 27K on them. They are still in great shape as I rotate them every 5K and keep air pressure at 32 PSI (Ford specs, tire max rating is much higher). They ride smooth and quiet, as I drive the car that way as well. My only complaint is the tread design; in rainy conditions they do not handle well due to the lack of outer grooves to let the water out (open shoulder design, water dispersion as mentioned above). This leads to hydroplaning and loss of control. I'm in southern Missouri so ice and snow is generally a short blast and doesn't last long, so we're in our 4x4 at those times, and I don't look for snow and ice traction with my car tires. My MKS is FWD only. Anyway, my next replacements will be Cooper CS4 Touring. I had these on my last passenger car and they were great. Quiet, smooth, great wear, and a unique tread design to handle well in wet weather. And they also have my #1 pick for a tire; they are made right here in the USA. Thats the first thing we need to ask for when buying, Tires have their origin stamped right on them along with the size and rating info. There are a quite a few brands still made here, some just certain models, but lots of tires from Japan, Korea, some from Italy, etc. If you're checking online like from tirerack.com, click on specs, and it will say where they are made. BUY USA!

#12 OFFLINE   ninpo23

ninpo23

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln mks
  • My MKS: mymks

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

Hello,

I have a MKS 2009 with FWD with 38,300 miles and so far I like the car dispite the fact it is a FWD. I have an opportunity to buy a set of OEM Linclon MKS 20" wheels with Michelin radials on them.  Any issue putting on my FWD 2009 MKS...extra stress of suspension, do I need to get it aligned for 20" wheels, ride quality, etc?

Thanks in advance!

#13 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental 3.0 twin turbo

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

If I recall correctly, if you ordered the 20" wheels on a 2009 MKS, you also got different shocks/struts than the models with 18s or 19s.  I think they were a bit firmer to handle that tire/wheel size and weight.   Having said that, I don't know if you would have any particular issues with using the 20s without the different dampers. 

Does your car currently have the 18s with Goodyear Assurance Comfortred tires or the 19s with Goodyear RSAs?  If you have the 18s, you will likely notice a bit firmer ride when you go to 20s.  If you currently have the 19s, you might find the 20s with Michelins to ride better and be quieter.  When I was test driving MKSs, I was not a fan of the Goodyear RSAs.  I found them to be a bit rougher and noisier than either the standard 18s or the 20s with Michelins.

#14 OFFLINE   iarived

iarived

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Current Vehicle:2009 MKS
  • Interests:Photography, Writing

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

Just bought my 09 Mks and it needs tires. I haven't heard great reviews on the oem goodyear rs-a tire. I just want a tire that's quiet with pretty good traction that wont break me. The rs-a's are 184 ea. at the local ford dealership. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

#15 OFFLINE   gkarg

gkarg

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKS AWD

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

I've been driving my OEM Goodyear RS-A tires on my '09 MKS for 2 the years I've owned the car now.  They are definitely very noisy on concrete interstates, but otherwise I have had no problems.  I've driven them through 2 winters now in NW PA and never had any issues there, either.

I'm note sure what else I'd get in place of them.  There isn't much selection!

#16 OFFLINE   jkoleh

jkoleh

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Lincoln MKS

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:35 AM

Just put set of Continental Pure Contact tires on my 2014 MKS Ecoboost with 55,000 miles. After 1500 miles, I quite like them.  Orig equipment Michelins were down to 3/32nds so it's easy to notice a positive change.

#17 OFFLINE   Adams14mks

Adams14mks

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2014 MKS

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:14 AM

I also purchased the Conti pure contact tires for my MKS and can highly recommend this tire based on great traction in snow, rain and dry pavement. The cost and performance for this tire can't be beat but I should have explored going with a wider tire (if possible) seeing my ecoboost rims are 8 1/2" wide as opposed to the standard 20 inch rims that are 8" wide. I kinda think ford may have given the extra width to give an option to put a wider tire as some higher end european cars do for added performance. If anyone has tire size that is ideal with my rims please respond, I  plan on purchasing summer tires and just use my conti pure contacts in winter months seeing how well these tires performed this last winter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·