Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By joining the Lincoln MKS Forum, you'll enjoy these site benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Drying with air?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental 3.0 twin turbo
  • My MKS: mymks

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:49 AM

I always hand wash my cars - even in the winter. The worst part for me is the drying process. When I worked in a Ford service department many years ago, one of our suppliers gave me a chamios that was absolutely top quality. It left zero water and glided smoothly over the finish. It is now pretty well worn out so I bought a new one. It was supposed to be high quality and it was pretty spendy. The problem is that it is not worth a dam*. The old raggedy one is far superior. I have also tried microfiber cloths and cotton towels but once wet, they leave a lot of water behind.

I am thinking about one of those air dryers - the kind that warms the air and blasts the water off. Has anyone ever used one of those?

http://airchamois.com/

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Dok

Dok

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:32 PM

I always hand wash my cars - even in the winter. The worst part for me is the drying process. When I worked in a Ford service department many years ago, one of our suppliers gave me a chamios that was absolutely top quality. It left zero water and glided smoothly over the finish. It is now pretty well worn out so I bought a new one. It was supposed to be high quality and it was pretty spendy. The problem is that it is not worth a dam*. The old raggedy one is far superior. I have also tried microfiber cloths and cotton towels but once wet, they leave a lot of water behind.

I am thinking about one of those air dryers - the kind that warms the air and blasts the water off. Has anyone ever used one of those?

http://airchamois.com/

I have used a leaf blower which works pretty good.

#3 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:40 AM

I have used a leaf blower which works pretty good.

Thanks. I have considered using a leaf blower. I guess the benefit of a purpose-built car dryer is that they warm the air so it should do a bit better job. I sometimes use my air compressor on the wheels and around headlight moldings, etc. where I cannot reach with a chamois or towel.

#4 OFFLINE   Ricker

Ricker

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:48 AM

The Absorber. Bar None. Comes in different colors too. Made in Japan.
  • fph1132 likes this
Current Ride: 2009 MKS AWD Black on Black, Ultimate Package, Navigation Package, 19" 5 spoke wheels, Formula One Tint
Former Ride: 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe RWD, Ivory Pearl, Cashmere Leather, NAV, Moonroof, 18" Chrome Polished Wheels, Sat Radio, Formula One Tint, drilled aluminum pedals

#5 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:40 AM

The Absorber. Bar None. Comes in different colors too. Made in Japan.

Thanks for the tip, Ricker. I bought a yellow Absorber at Autozone for $10 and I agree that it works very well - much better than a Chamois that I paid $30 for a few months ago. I keep my MKS waxed so the water beads up nicely. One swipe gets rid of most of the water and a follow-up swipe leaves it dry. Good product.

#6 OFFLINE   Eyespyautomotive

Eyespyautomotive

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 MKS
  • Interests:Cars, beer, guns, bourbon, home repair..

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

Bruce, try this. Get yourself a silicone water blade, after you wash the car, go around it with the blade to remove the bulk of the water (probably 80%) then go after it with your "Absorber" there will be way less water to remove and you dont have to wring out anything.

I too had one of those great synthetic chamois that worked awesome, but it wore out also. I have an "absorber" also, but i dont think it works all that great. For me its a go around with the blade, then I touch up with a huge microfiber towel i have.

I clean and detail a lot of cars. Honestly this is the best/quickest way.

Matt
Canton, Michigan
2011 MKS Ecoboost
2011 Flex Titanium

#7 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

I have wondered about those silicone water blades. I use the rubber side of a squeegee on the windows and moonroof and even on the top of the car. It is really made for glass so I have been hesitant to use it anywhere else. I will take your advice and try a water blade that is actually designed to use on the finish.

#8 OFFLINE   Nevada Rick

Nevada Rick

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Lincoln MKS

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

I have a blade made by the California car duster folks. It is made of surgical silicone and works great. I just keep a soft cloth in one hand, sweep with the blade and wipe it off before the next sweep. Otherwise you will throw water back onto the area you just dried. As long as you have gotten all the grit off of the car before using it, there is no way it will scratch the car.

#9 OFFLINE   Eyespyautomotive

Eyespyautomotive

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 MKS
  • Interests:Cars, beer, guns, bourbon, home repair..

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

Like nevada rick And I said, the blade is the best. The blade and one towel is all you need. You will never go back.

Matt
Canton, Michigan
2011 MKS Ecoboost
2011 Flex Titanium

#10 OFFLINE   spiked

spiked

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2010 MKS EcoBoost

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:02 AM

I have been using the Absorber chamois for years.I have 1 for the real dirty spots like the tires.rockers and inner fender wells.I have another one for the rest of the body and it is a different color so I don't mix them up.They are tough to beat for the money.

I was at the quarter wash one day and after I washed the car I realized I didn't have my Absorbers.I had cleaned the trunk out and left everything at home.All I had were a couple of rolls of cheap paper towels.They actually worked great and the towels were only a buck each.Don't laugh till you try it.:)

#11 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:59 AM

I have switched to Meguiars water magnet - a thick microfiber towel.  It is the best I have ever used.  I use an electric leaf blower first and then do the final dry with the Mequiars towel.  Works beautifully.

• spiked likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·