Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By joining the Lincoln MKS Forum, you'll enjoy these site benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ladyday16

ladyday16

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:06 AM

I traded in my '06 Lincoln LS for the the much looked at MKS Dark Ink Blue (AWD) January 20, 2009 and I now have 2414 miles. It has everything but the ACC. I love it! However, yesterday evening, I got in my vehicle, ready to go and it wouldn't start. I put my foot on the brake and pushed the start button. It cranked and then immediately cut off. I went through this several times and gave up on it starting. Since my son had a special evening planned for my birthday and I had to meet him and my husband at a certain time, I took one of our other vehicles. I plan on calling road assistance later this morning. I will let you know what happens. Oh, my son's surprise evening was dinner at a mystery dinner theatre. It was a very nice evening, although I am very disappointed regarding my new MKS. This was not suppose to happen!
We were going to go travel in real style!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   joehio

joehio

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 370 posts
  • Current Vehicle:'09 MKS & '12 MKX
  • Interests:Cooking, keeping super shiny cars, traveling, and a good Polka Band from Ohio !

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:48 AM

I traded in my '06 Lincoln LS for the the much looked at MKS Dark Ink Blue (AWD) January 20, 2009 and I now have 2414 miles. It has everything but the ACC. I love it! However, yesterday evening, I got in my vehicle, ready to go and it wouldn't start. I put my foot on the brake and pushed the start button. It cranked and then immediately cut off. I went through this several times and gave up on it starting. Since my son had a special evening planned for my birthday and I had to meet him and my husband at a certain time, I took one of our other vehicles. I plan on calling road assistance later this morning. I will let you know what happens. Oh, my son's surprise evening was dinner at a mystery dinner theatre. It was a very nice evening, although I am very disappointed regarding my new MKS. This was not suppose to happen!

Sorry to hear of your trouble. My cousin had a similar problem with her BMW X5, and it was some kind of computer glitch. Keep us posted on the outcome.

#3 OFFLINE   Mark S

Mark S

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

Ladyday,
I wonder if both FOB's did the same thing?
Did you try putting the FOB into the slot in the glove compartment?
Do you live in an area with high electrical interference, close to radio or TV transmitters?
Did you have something in the car close to the steering wheel like those things you swipe at a gas pump?
I am glad your evening turned out well.

#4 OFFLINE   ladyday16

ladyday16

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:55 PM

Ladyday,
Do you live in an area with high electrical interference, close to radio or TV transmitters?
Did you have something in the car close to the steering wheel like those things you swipe at a gas pump?

I tried both FOBs and got the same results. There was nothing out of the ordinary in the car with me at the time. High interference is possible. After reading the manual I ran across the instructions regarding putting the FOB in the glove compartment slot and still same results. The vehicle is now at the dealership and the service rep Chris stated that he has run across various minor problems with the MKS, but not this. He will not be able to get to it until Monday, so I won't know anything until then. I will post whatever the problem.

Also, I am going to have the 911 Assist and VHR installed. Chris informed me that they have only performed one update and the cost is $98.00. I told him that people on the MKS forum have posted that some dealerships have waived the fee. He then stated that he may be able to cut it down to $50.00.

#5 OFFLINE   johncongemi

johncongemi

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 MKS

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:56 PM

Ladyday,

On the remote chance that the fuel cut-out activated, did you try pushing the start button twice to ractive the fuel flow?

Also.... what slot in the glove compartment???

Never mind I found the slot, but it's just a holder.

Edited by johncongemi, 19 April 2009 - 01:28 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   Mark S

Mark S

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:31 PM

On the remote chance that the fuel cut-out activated, did you try pushing the start button twice to ractive the fuel flow?

Also.... what slot in the glove compartment???

John,
Look for this section in your owners guide. There is a picture of the slot.
"Backup Method of Starting:
Your Intelligent Access Key uses a radio
frequency signal to communicate
with your vehicle and authorize your
vehicle to start when you press the
start/stop button and apply the
brake pedal. If excessive radio
frequency interference is present in
the area, or if the battery in your IA
Key is low, it may be necessary to
start your car by inserting the IA
Key in the backup slot, located in
your glove box. Insert the IA Key
into the slot with buttons facing out
and with key ring up. After inserting
the IA Key into the backup slot, use
the start/stop button and brake
pedal to start your vehicle as usual.
The vehicle should respond normally
as long as the IA Key is in the
backup slot in the glove box. Once
the vehicle is started, the IA key can
be removed from the backup slot, if desired."

#7 OFFLINE   johncongemi

johncongemi

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 MKS

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:10 PM

John,
Look for this section in your owners guide. There is a picture of the slot.
"Backup Method of Starting:
Your Intelligent Access Key uses a radio
frequency signal to communicate
with your vehicle and authorize your
vehicle to start when you press the
start/stop button and apply the
brake pedal. If excessive radio
frequency interference is present in
the area, or if the battery in your IA
Key is low, it may be necessary to
start your car by inserting the IA
Key in the backup slot, located in
your glove box. Insert the IA Key
into the slot with buttons facing out
and with key ring up. After inserting
the IA Key into the backup slot, use
the start/stop button and brake
pedal to start your vehicle as usual.
The vehicle should respond normally
as long as the IA Key is in the
backup slot in the glove box. Once
the vehicle is started, the IA key can
be removed from the backup slot, if desired."

Thank you Mark S. Finding stuff in the Manual is a fun but frustrating challenge.

#8 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 442 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:36 AM

This does not sound like a problem with the keyless system, if it was it wouldn't even crank. It must be something much more "conventional".

#9 OFFLINE   ladyday16

ladyday16

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:55 PM

:) Well, I got my car back yesterday. I was told that the dealership mechanic had to contact the Ford Technical department hotline numerous times before the problem was pinpointed. Of course it was a computerized problem. Pin 46 on connector C133 was pushed out of the connector, improperly tensioned causing the crank sensor to malfunction. The crank signal and PCM signal was not detected. Pin 46 was retensioned and now it starts. I hope that this problem does not happen again or to anyone else!

#10 OFFLINE   Mark S

Mark S

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:28 PM

:) Well, I got my car back yesterday. I was told that the dealership mechanic had to contact the Ford Technical department hotline numerous times before the problem was pinpointed. Of course it was a computerized problem. Pin 46 on connector C133 was pushed out of the connector, improperly tensioned causing the crank sensor to malfunction. The crank signal and PCM signal was not detected. Pin 46 was retensioned and now it starts. I hope that this problem does not happen again or to anyone else!

I am glad to hear you got your car back.
Thank you for letting us know what the problem was.
I can understand why it would have been so hard to diagnose.

#11 OFFLINE   Sylvain Mino

Sylvain Mino

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:MKS AWD 2010
  • My MKS: mymks

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:07 PM

Something similar happened to me...

I went to buy booster cables thinking it was a battery drain and kids played with lights or something...

When I came back, it started without doing anything special...

They key was in my left hand both times. It would not crank, but the radio would work.

I heard the break pedal unlock the transmission. I could put it in neutral, and park. But it would not start...

Strange...

Everything works now with the same Key FOB. It even worked withh the keys in my back pocket.

Good to know about the glove compartment thing. I will try that next time ...

#12 OFFLINE   Green Giant

Green Giant

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2010 MKS ecoboost
  • My MKS: mymks

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:19 PM

I may have the same problem. I have a 2010 MKS ecoboost with about 75,000 miles (120,000KM) Christmas Eve the car wouldn't start when I came out from church. When i pushed the start button it would go through the start sequence including the gauges going up full & back again. Everything but engage the starter. Went back the next day and moved the gear shift and after a few tries it started. Drove home. Worked ok for a few days then wouldn't start. Had it hauled to the Ford Garage and when they took it off the truck it started OK. They charged up the battery and said good to go. Drove 50 miles & when I shut it off to go for a coffee it wouldn't start. Played with the gearshift and suddenly it started. Good for the next few days. Put a new battery in but it stills has an intermittent start problem. The latest is driving to Florida when I stopped for gas it wouldn't start. I wiggled the battery cables and it started. Has anyone had this problem?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·