Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By joining the Lincoln MKS Forum, you'll enjoy these site benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

coolant maintenance, type, & how to?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   E_Net_Rider

E_Net_Rider

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2010 MKS
  • My MKS: mymks

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:51 AM

I have 2010 3.7L MKS. Trying to find specifics on changing coolant. Dealer price seems really high for something I've done many times myself. And searching I find nothing specific to this auto. But have found videos of other engines relating to 3.5L & 3.7L Duratec. Is my engine the Duratec?

What I've seen is nightmare videos relating to the water pump because it is timing chain driven and becomes a very expensive issue to repair. Very labor intensive and if not caught early on it can involve replacing a lot of parts besides the water pump!!!

And if that is not confusing enough there does not seem to be a known cause for the pump failures. Some might guess type of coolant. Some guess not changing oil at minimum requirements. And Ford seems to be very confused about what is the best coolant.

Look here:

https:://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/coolantsEN.pdf

My vehicle has yellow and supposed production was DEC 2009. Per chart mine should be Dark Green. Ford was apparently using four different colors. Also over the years there have been law suits over coolants not doing the job and mixing is supposedly a major problem. Even after a major flush because of residuals. Blamed for ruining head gaskets even. I have to question Ford engineering because coolant in oil had been a troublesome issue going back to the 80's in Taurus lineup with 3.0L. The source was totally different but still getting in oil. Around 100K miles you could expect the oil pan gasket to pop out at the front of the motor and directly above was the water pump. If the pump started dripping the gasket would act like a scoop to catch the coolant putting it in the pan. WTH?? Designed a new twist to an old problem? Seems to be true with GM as well.

With all the advertising of what is best it now appears Ford does not know.

How to? Which? And any other pertinent information please.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·