Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By joining the Lincoln MKS Forum, you'll enjoy these site benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

PTU fitment

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Outoftheblew314

Outoftheblew314

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
  • My MKS: mymks

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:48 PM

I have a 2010 MKS Ecoboost, with 83K. I would like to swap out my PTU for one from a 2014 MKS Ecoboost. The site says it fits 2011-2015. I'm thinking it should fit mine as well, but I'm not 100%. Anyone know for sure if it will fit? I know that after 2012 they added a drain plug too. A co-worker had his Flex PTU lock up on him. The shop installed a 2013 PTU, which makes me believe that a 2014 should work. The one I'm looking at has 20K for $300. Also is there a rebuild kit that includes the gears? Thank you very much, for your time.

Edited by Outoftheblew314, 19 March 2018 - 03:44 PM.

• CarThrasher likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   CarThrasher

CarThrasher

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 MKS

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:43 PM

Have a Jan. production date, with Ecoboost. The PTU only has a fill plug, no drain. Maybe they came out with the drain feature later in 2013. Thinking about adding a drain plug myself. Have 38,000 miles.  Haven't met a gearbox yet that did not need a lube change. This is my 1st Lincoln, trying to learn the maintenance items. Ford uses a synthetic 75w-140 (18 oz.) ,  as they call it ; a "forever" oil.  Hmmmmm....  There is plenty of Youtube stuff out there to see the failures.  Understand the "Police" pkg. option on Edges for instance have additional heat shielding for the exhaust pipe(s) that  run close to the PTU.  Heat is oils/lubricants enemy.  Have been told the it is b/c of the extended idling time Police vehicles are subject to.  The Lincoln's exhaust runs much the same way. Don't know about SHO's,Escapes, Flex'es or other Ford products that share the platform per se. Have an idea they are similar exhaust routing. Looking into addition heat sheilding. for the exhaust near the PTU area. Figured it can't hurt, along with a drain plug to drain/refill with fresh lube at a reasonable interval.  If later production PTU s came w/ a drain plug, it was for a reason. Talked to my local dealer (Ford) mechanic. He said the PTU is not a serviceable component. They do not have a service  program for it,  replace only. Pre-drain plug units only??.  Local transmission shop was willing to use an evacuation pump via the fill hole. Then refill.  Drain plug just makes more sense, IMHO. As far as fitment for the later drain plug PTU s, many salvage yards have compatibility info, or a good auto parts store. Don't know re: rebuild kit, wondered the same thing myself.  Bearings & races have #s on them, leads me to believe one could "piece" a kit together with a bearing "house".  Or via a good machine shop.   OK, now lets consider the rear end housing......

#3 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental 3.0 twin turbo

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:47 AM

Sucking the lube out of the fill hole and refilling is a common and effective procedure.    Many dealers refuse to do it but independent shops will.  It is also a do-it-yourself project if you are so inclined.   I did mine a couple of times when I had my MKS.

#4 OFFLINE   JoeMo

JoeMo

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Lincoln MKS
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:36 AM

I'm going to drill and tap mine for a drain plug to make fluid changes easier and allow me to thoroughly flush the sludge that inevitably accumulates inside the PTU.  The production break for the PTU improvements in the 2013 model year occurred on 16-Jul-2012.  Vehicles built after that time should have a PTU with an improved vent design, but the MKS was never produced with a PTU that included a drain plug.  That feature was available for the Taurus with the optional PTU cooler.  But no matter what, the PTU needs regular fluid changes because it is a weak point in the drivetrain and it gets a lot of heat exposure with the exhaust pipes and the rear downpipe cat being right next to it.  Additional heat shielding can definitely help, but offroad downpipes without the cats are an even better solution and they'll give a significant increase in efficiency (you'll need to tune for them).

Edited by JoeMo, 20 March 2018 - 12:20 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   Outoftheblew314

Outoftheblew314

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

I have replaced the fluid 2X since purchasing the car in January. I have a loud hum above 40 MPH. I have 83K on the car, and from what I've heard the hum is a sign of internal wear. Which leads to failure. I'm trying to prevent this from happening, by swapping out the old PTU, but the website says it fits Ecoboost 2011-2015. I need to know if a 2014 PTU would fit a 2010 Ecoboost.

#6 OFFLINE   Outoftheblew314

Outoftheblew314

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:25 PM

Found out today that a 2014 ptu will fit a 2010. Only thing that is needed to be known is that I need a 2014+ ptu from a 3.7L to fit my 2010 Ecoboost. A 2014 Ecoboost is a different part number than the 2010. But the 3.7L is the same part number. Go figure, wasn't able to get any information on why the 2014 Ecoboost won't fit. Found a 2014 explorer with a 3.7 with 22K. They want 500 for the ptu.

#7 OFFLINE   JoeMo

JoeMo

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:43 AM

In the Ford parts catalog for the 2010 MKS, they only have a split by production date at 8-Sep-2009, but both engines use the same part number.  Both versions have been replaced by the same newer version and the latest part number is AT4Z-    7251-G.

In the Ford parts catalog for the 2014 Explorer with Ecoboost, the latest part number is DT4Z-    7251-G.

From what I can see in the engineering prints for both parts, the only difference seems to be the vent on the top of the case on the Explorer transfer case.  All of the other pieces are identical, as are all of the physical dimensions.

• Outoftheblew314 likes this

#8 OFFLINE   Outoftheblew314

Outoftheblew314

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:35 AM

Those are the same part numbers the dealership​, parts guy showed me. The A represents the production release, the D represents the revision. D being 3rd revision. I believe one of the revisions was to include the drain plug. Also one for the vent. Do you know what was changed in 2011+ Ecoboost to make the PTU incompatible with the 2010's? Spline count? Is what I'm thinking. Could use less splines in the 3.7L.

#9 OFFLINE   JoeMo

JoeMo

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:45 AM

Both part numbers I provided are the latest revisions for their respective applications and both are active service parts stocked by Ford.  The drain plug will only be found on units that have the PTU cooler, which was not available on the MKS.  The only real difference between the newer and older versions of the transfer case for the MKS is the vent.  

#10 OFFLINE   Outoftheblew314

Outoftheblew314

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:07 AM

I am thinking of rebuilding my PTU instead of replacing it. I found an idler gear part # GB5Z-7P258-A. I am looking for the other gear sets to complete the rebuild. Anyone have any information?

#11 OFFLINE   JoeMo

JoeMo

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:51 AM

That's a special service kit for a TSB, so it isn't cataloged.   I've attached a screenshot of the bill of material for the kit so you can know what's in there.

Attached Files

• Outoftheblew314 likes this

#12 OFFLINE   Outoftheblew314

Outoftheblew314

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:17 AM

Is this a complete rebuild kit, or are there other options for rebuilding the PTU?

#13 OFFLINE   Outoftheblew314

Outoftheblew314

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:18 AM

Is this a complete rebuild kit, or are there other options for rebuilding the PTU?

#14 OFFLINE   gkarg

gkarg

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKS AWD

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:50 AM

Are you absolutely positive that it is the PTU making the noise? 

Have you checked the center carrier bearing for the drive shaft to make sure it isn't the source? Its in the vacinity...  My 2000 LS carrier bearing went bad - but I can't remember if it made a noise - but think it did, along with a slight vibration.

My PTU was 'fixed' for leaking seal under warranty by dealership years ago and now I have 130,000 miles and haven't touched it again since.

#15 OFFLINE   Outoftheblew314

Outoftheblew314

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:08 PM

When I had the fluid changed at the dealership, the service tech stated, "Noisy PTU" on the paperwork. The noise (hum) is noticable starting around 40-45 MPH. The hum increases with vehicle speed. It is constant, and a couple of friends that sat on the passengers side, have said they could feel it in the foot well. I did check the carrier bearing when I added fluid the first time. It had a little play but nothing excessive. Since I have to drop the cradle, to swap out the PTU. I was going to replace the carrier bearing and the tie rods, ball joints, sway bar links and bushings, and front struts, along with the booster/master, and caliper/rotor upgrade from the 2014 PP SHO. The dealership wants $ 2200-2500 to do just the PTU, might as well replace everything while I have it apart.

Edited by Outoftheblew314, 04 April 2018 - 12:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·