Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By joining the Lincoln MKS Forum, you'll enjoy these site benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

"Cruise Not Available" message

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   davet753

davet753

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2009 MKS
  • My MKS: mymks

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:51 PM

I just bought a 2009 MKS with adaptive cruise control. If I turn it on right when the engine starts, it brings up a message "Cruise on, radar ready". If I wait more than 5 or 6 seconds after starting the engine, it says "not available".

However, any time I try and use it while driving, all I get is the message "Cruise not available".

I have took off the plastic panel that covers the radar module, and everything looks nice and clean there. I even unplugged the harness and checked to make sure the connection was clean and tight.

I've read that some later year models have a TSB out concerning this, and that the dealer can re-flash the computer to fix the issue, but the TSB doesn't apply to the 2009 models. I have also read that Ford started buying the adaptive cruise radar units from a different manufacturer starting with the 2010 models. The radar unit for the 2009 models is ridiculously high priced. If the module needs replaced, I probably wont spend $1500 for a new one.

Anybody else had this problem?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   lincwitsync

lincwitsync

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln MKS
  • Interests:Lincoln, Music, Family

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:58 AM

I've only seen that message appear when it's raining hard/super foggy or very snowy. Just like you, my first guess was a faulty radar upon reading your post.

Nothing will be cheap with any driving aid system unless it's purchased as a used item. As these cars age/wear down, I'm seeing that first hand.

Edited by lincwitsync, 12 November 2017 - 03:59 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   davet753

davet753

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2009 MKS

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:05 PM

A faulty radar module was my first thought, but the manual says that a fault in the radar module will show the message "cruise malfunction" or "radar blocked". I cleaned the front of the radar module, and even tried it leaving off the plastic panel part of the grill that covers it, but no luck.  My dealer said it would take about 30 minutes for them to hook it up to their computer and see if it could diagnose the problem, and they can update the software (or "configuration" as they call it) if it needs it. Seeing as how I have 2 years of free oil changes from them, I think I'll let them check it out sometime. 

Poking around online, it looks like the radar module for the 2009's is $1500 or more, while the 2010 and later models are less than $500. I might need to take a nitroglycerin tablet before they give me the estimate. 

I might consider $500 to have the cruise working, but certainly not $1500. I have drove Lincolns for many years, and have paid a premium price for certain replacement parts, but this is ridiculous. Somebody at Ford needs to remember this is a Lincoln, not a Maybach.

#4 OFFLINE   lincwitsync

lincwitsync

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln MKS
  • Interests:Lincoln, Music, Family

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:28 AM

Yeah if it's simply a plug and program update software, that would be nice. I am curious how much is the module on the Taurus?  I hope Ford is not gouging prices.

#5 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 442 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:28 AM

You're right, it is a Lincoln,  That's why it has adaptive cruise in the first place; no other Ford's had it in 2009.  When Ford was able to find a new supplier to supply cheaper modules, that's when they were able to offer it on more models in 2010.  Sorry, but that's the price of early technology adoption.  Fortunately for everybody else, the 2009 MKS is the only one that uses that expensive module, unfortunately for you, you're stuck unless it can be fixed with software programming.  It could be something else in the system though, it could be that the module is losing communication with the network or not getting signals from other sensors.  The dealer should be able to pull codes and determine that.

Edited by Waldo, 15 November 2017 - 08:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·