Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By joining the Lincoln MKS Forum, you'll enjoy these site benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Do a PTU Fluid Change Yet?

PTU transfer case PTU failure

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   j1980mac

j1980mac

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:MKS
  • My MKS: mymks

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:11 PM

Hi All, 

Heard many of horror stories of the SHOs PTU fluid getting extremely gummed up, and I wondered if it were the same case for the MKS. I know that it's quite a siphoning job to get the fluid out (and back in).

Does anyone know if the 2013 MKS Ecoboost has a drain plug to at least get the fluid out? 

Thanks

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental 3.0 twin turbo

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:22 AM

I don't know about the 2013+ models but sucking out the old fluid through the fill hole and refilling it is not a bad job at all.  It can be a bit messy but not difficult.   It takes longer to get the car up on ramps and make sure it is level than it does to actually do the job.  A hoist would be nice but most of us do not have one of those in our garages!

#3 OFFLINE   MKSecobeast

MKSecobeast

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Lincoln MKS AWD Ecoboost Thunderstorm CAI, Evenflo t-stat, Motorcraft 0.30 plugs, 3 bar map, Livernois 93 stage 4+x, 7' mounted tablet running torque pro, Factory 20's, tint
  • Interests:Cars, Music, Art, Comedy, Film

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:49 PM

I really need to do this procedure, but I'm just scared about overfilling it and actually causing a problem. My car now has 98,000 miles and I would bet my life that no one has ever changed the ptu fluid. I've read several different peoples stories about changing the fluid, but for some reason this just makes me nervous..I know you suck the fluid out, but should I try and flush it as well? How exactly did you do yours bruce? Also, any specific brand of oil I should use? I have a bottle of royal purple right now that I was going to use.

#4 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:21 AM

You can't overfill it.  You just pump in new lube until it runs out the fill hole.  It is important to have the car level.  I use ramps on the front and then jack up the back until the car is sitting level.  Make sure you use 75W140 or 80W140 FULL SYNTHETIC gear lube.  I did not flush mine at all.  I simply sucked out all that I could and refilled it.  Due to how close the gears are in the bottom of the PTU, you will likely not get all of it out.   As I recall, it only holds around 16 ounces and I usually would only get about 10-12 ounces out.  It is nearly impossible to get the sucking hose to the bottom due to the gears inside.

It is best to do the job when the fluid is warm since it will come out more easily.  However, do NOT do it when the car is hot.  Otherwise you will burn the hell out of your hands on the exhaust system and other things.  Don't ask me how I know that.

• MKSecobeast likes this

#5 OFFLINE   MKSecobeast

MKSecobeast

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Lincoln MKS AWD Ecoboost Thunderstorm CAI, Evenflo t-stat, Motorcraft 0.30 plugs, 3 bar map, Livernois 93 stage 4+x, 7' mounted tablet running torque pro, Factory 20's, tint

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:57 PM

Any particular vacuum you would recommend? 

#6 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:59 AM

https://www.amazon.c...01BGZ9TXG?psc=1

I bought mine at a local Menards store but it looks just like this.

• MKSecobeast likes this

#7 OFFLINE   MKSecobeast

MKSecobeast

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 11:26 PM

Thanks for all of the info bruce. Much appreciated. Off topic, but do you or anyone else on here have any experience with programs that track performance such as 1/4 mile times etc. I have one that uses a bluetooth ob11 thing that communicates with a program on my tablet..It's like a version of torque pro I think. Accurate not accurate? thoughts? IMO, mine seems about right as far as quarter mile times. I've never been to the track in this car, but after I put on my mods and tune, I had a number in mind of what I might/should run and it's pretty close to what I thought. 12.50 to 12.8's. I haven't found a decent/safe straight stretch to really test it out. I barely have enough room to get up to speed and then slow down, so I'm thinking I could run better if I didn't have to worry about that plus the deer running out in front of me. lol 

#8 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:52 AM

I know exactly what you mean about not having a good place to test.  Between traffic, fear of getting a ticket and wildlife on the roads, I will not doing any high speed tests on public roads.  That is the primary reason that I began going to the drag strip, even though the closest one is 2 hours away.

Your numbers sound about right.  I use an Aeroforce gauge that has proven to be quite accurate since the numbers are backed up by my drag strip runs.  http://www.aeroforce...nterceptor.html  

Here are a couple of timeslips from the track.  I am car 702.  

rock%20falls5.14.16_zpsotqdot6z.jpg

#9 OFFLINE   MKSecobeast

MKSecobeast

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:49 AM

I know you may have mentioned this, but what mods and tune did you run to get those numbers?

#10 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:24 AM

Livernois 4+X tune with 3 bar sensor and K & N filter in stock airbox.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·