Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By joining the Lincoln MKS Forum, you'll enjoy these site benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

MKS 3.7 Turbo?

3.7 Turbo

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MKSecobeast

MKSecobeast

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Lincoln MKS AWD Ecoboost Thunderstorm CAI, Evenflo t-stat, Motorcraft 0.30 plugs, 3 bar map, Livernois 93 stage 4+x, 7' mounted tablet running torque pro, Factory 20's, tint
  • My MKS: mymks
  • Interests:Cars, Music, Art, Comedy, Film

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:39 PM

Hi everyone...I recently purchased my first Lincoln about 5 days ago and I've noticed in that short time that there doesn't seem to be many mods available for the 3.7..BTW, just to get this out of the way, mine is a 2010 Lincoln MKS 3.7. I really love the car and so far the only thing I've done with it is install a K&N filter which made a noticeable difference to me.  Anyway, has anyone ever successfully installed a turbocharger on the 3.7 MKS? I've scoured the internet and I haven't seen anyone do it or even really talk about it. On ebay I noticed people were selling used turbos of the ecoboost 3.5's and they mention that they are compatible with the 3.7 MKS..Sorry to ramble on, but just to give some background, I used to really be into cars but I was a carbed v8 muscle car guy. All of this fuel injection/computerized car stuff is new to me.

Jake

P.S. The engine compartment on this car seems very cramped as it is. lol

Attached File  IMG_0092.jpeg   909.39KB   0 downloads

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental 3.0 twin turbo

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:37 AM

OH my....I wish you had gotten an Ecoboost MKS to begin with.    From a financial perspective and for the sake of performance, durability and simplicity, you would be better off to trade for one rather than try to add a turbo to the 3.7.  

• TSS1 likes this

#3 OFFLINE   MKSecobeast

MKSecobeast

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Lincoln MKS AWD Ecoboost Thunderstorm CAI, Evenflo t-stat, Motorcraft 0.30 plugs, 3 bar map, Livernois 93 stage 4+x, 7' mounted tablet running torque pro, Factory 20's, tint

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:00 PM

I was afraid someone/everyone was going to say that. lol I feel like its my personal mission to keep the 3.7 and add a turbo, or just to make it the best it can be. Just because a mistake during the purchase process of my MKS was made, I feel like I have to stick with my mistake and turn it into a positive. I just got off of the phone with a custom shop and they are going to get back to me on monday about taking my car on as a project. Fingers crossed I guess. Next question...Has anyone ever made or found a cold air intake that successfully fits and performs well on the 3.7?

#4 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:35 PM

Ok, if you are determined to upgrade the power of your 3.7, be aware that your transmission may be a weak link. Ecoboost models have an upgraded transmission to handle the extra power.

You might want to reach out to companies like SCT or Diablo and see if their tuning devices are compatible with your car. A good tune that optimizes air/fuel ratio and ignition timing could pick you up some extra power.

Your car already gets air from the outside so technically it has a cold air intake. Ecoboost models typically run a bit slower with aftermarket systems marketed as "cold air intakes" because they suck in hot air from under the hood. I suspect your 3.7 would perform best with your drop in K&N. The aftermarket units sound good,though.

#5 OFFLINE   MKSecobeast

MKSecobeast

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for the input brucelinc. I was speaking with someone the other day who basically told me the same thing about the cold air intake situation on my car..He said if I can't find one specifically made for my car and tried to make one myself, that it would probably just be sucking in hot air. Basically that the stock unit with the K&N filter would be my best bet. I was trying to get a Jet performance chip, but of course they don't have one for the 3.7..They do have a custom service and I'm trying to see if they will make one for me.

I also came across this site that actually offered a chip for the 3.7.. The website/product looks a little shady. What do you think about this product?

http://www.globalaut...ning_module.htm

#6 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:24 AM

I would not waste my time or money with that  goofy thing.   Chips like this are from the dark ages and do nearly nothing except likely cause the check engine light to come on.

SCT is a reputable company and you could request that they support the 3.7.   https://www.sctflash...hicle-not-found

The later 3.7s were used in Mustangs and there is a huge aftermarket for Mustang modifications.   I am not sure what all is available for the 3.7 but you might search some Mustang sites or tuners that do a lot of work with Mustangs.  Lund and HP tuners come to mind.

http://www.lundracing.com/     https://www.hptuners.com/

#7 OFFLINE   MKSecobeast

MKSecobeast

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:56 AM

Thanks again for all of your info and expertise brucelinc. DId they use the 2010 Lincoln 3.7 in 2010 Mustangs? Or if not the 2010 Mustang, do you know of any years that did share the same engine?

#8 OFFLINE   MKSecobeast

MKSecobeast

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:07 AM

It looks like the mazda cx9 and mazda 6 in 2010 have the same Lincoln engine? From what I can see it is exactly the same?? Am I correct? If so, I feel like I would have luck finding tuners/parts for the Mazda brand 3.7 over the Lincoln. I talked to sct last night and I'm hoping I'll here back from them soon. I really appreciate all of your help bruce. 

This is the first vehicle I've ever owned that I've wanted to modify and I can't find parts for it. lol My first car was a 71 Chevelle SS clone, then a 87 GT (I bought it fully modified) 4.88 gears, fiberglass everything etc. etc. An 84 gt with a 351 windsor..Then a 2001 Focus which I didn't have any desire to modify, a 92 525i BMW same as the focus, a 2001 Buick Lesabre again no desire to modify lol And now the MKS. 

Edited by Lincolnconvert13, 17 April 2017 - 09:20 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:17 AM

Not to rub salt in any wounds but if you had gotten an ecoboost MKS, you would have had so many mod options, your head would be spinning.

#10 OFFLINE   TSS1

TSS1

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 MKS Ecoboost; K&N CAI; Livernois Tune; Tint; factory 20 inch Permachromes

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:13 PM

I have to echo Bruce here. We all make mistakes...I have with various trim options. But, honestly, you really might think about not throwing good money after bad if you are truly intent on a turbo. As Bruce said, many mod options for the 3.5 and can easily get sub 4 second zero to 60 runs (I am at 3.94 seconds and I think Bruce was a tad quicker) with just proper tuning. My tune has been in for many years, 86K on the car now - zero reliability issues related to the powertrain or tranny or PTU.    

There were misc other upgrades with the 3.5 that many overlook.  

#11 OFFLINE   MKSecobeast

MKSecobeast

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:47 PM

I know, I'm kicking myself now. I just started paying on the car and I'm afraid if the dealership happens to get in an ecoboost that I would take a bath on trading it back in. I think I'm finally out of denial now and can admit to myself that I'm not going to be satisfied with my MKS because it's not an ecoboost. It has virtually no miles for a 10 and it's in perfect condition etc, but it's still not an ecoboost. lol

#12 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:19 AM

It sounds like a very nice car.  However, if you really are into performance, the 3.7 is just not the way to go.  You could think about selling the car yourself rather than trading it.  There are quite a few MKS ecoboosts around and you might consider a Taurus SHO which is the same mechanically.  

Adding a turbo to the 3.7 is just not a viable option.  The Ecoboost engine has the same basic engine block but beyond that, EVERYTHING is different.  

#13 OFFLINE   MKSecobeast

MKSecobeast

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:07 AM

I found a 2010 MKS Ecoboost AWD with 95,000 miles for 11,900. It doesn't have all of the luxury options like mine and has more miles, but I do like it more. It's about an hour drive from where I live. I think I'm going to take a saturday off of work and go look at it. I feel like if I stick with mine, I'm never going to be happy and I'll be constantly beating my head against the wall trying to achieve performance where it can't be achieved. lol

#14 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:04 PM

I understand. As for the one you are going to look at, I have some advice. If you are serious about it, have it put on a hoist and a careful inspection done of the PTU and turbos. If there is evidence of leaking oil, the fix would be pricey.

I would want to know some history of the car if I were you...how many owners, maintenance records, etc. If it is at a dealer, part of your negotiation should include getting them to replace the spark plugs and change the lubricant in the PTU unless those things have been done recently. I would want the transmission fluid changed, too. If it is a private party, you will need to have those things done if you get it.

Edited by brucelinc, 18 April 2017 - 12:04 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   MKSecobeast

MKSecobeast

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:56 PM

It's at a dealer, so I'm going to request that all of those things be done. I've never traded in a car that I've owed money on and this seems like a weird situation. I paid 12,700 for mine and paid 2,300 down. They just lowered their price down to 11,500. Since they are the same model and year, plus I've only had my car for about 8 days or so...Do you think I'll end up having to pay them something down or possibly just have a higher payment? Like I said, this kind of thing is new to me. In most of these cases don't they pay off your car and then they set a new price and get a loan through them? I feel like and idiot because i've never done this. lol

Edited by Lincolnconvert13, 19 April 2017 - 10:04 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   MKSecobeast

MKSecobeast

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:03 PM

Should I ask to take the car to a mechanic and put it up on the rack or would they do it there? I'm not confident in my ability to know what I'm looking for in terms of the leaking etc. Is it unheard of for a dealer to let a possible buyer to take the car home for a day or two and have it checked out, especially if I leave my car there?

Once again, thanks for all of your replies and help Bruce. Maybe I'll get an ecoboost soon and I won't be bothering you so much. lol 

Edited by Lincolnconvert13, 19 April 2017 - 10:07 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:42 AM

I can't answer the pricing/financing questions but I highly doubt the dealer with the ecoboost model is going to give you nearly as much for your car as you paid for it.  If you are willing to accept that, just make sure the ecoboost car is in good condition.  If the ecoboost car is in really good condition, the price doesn't sound bad.  It also sounds like you got a decent deal on the one you have.  I sure wouldn't have taken that kind of money for the 2010 ecoboost that I owned.

I have had dealers let me take a car home overnight.  I am not sure all dealers will do that.  I don't know what it would cost to take it to a non-dealer shop and have it inspected but it might be worth it.  A leaking PTU or leaking turbos have happened and either one would be serious.   

#18 OFFLINE   MKSecobeast

MKSecobeast

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:03 PM

I got that ecoboost today! My god what a difference! 😎
  • TSS1 likes this

#19 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:26 PM

Lol...yes, indeed. And there's a lot more available if you want it.

• MKSecobeast likes this

#20 OFFLINE   MKSecobeast

MKSecobeast

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:30 PM

My first order or business is getting new tires, windshield wipers, oil change etc. Then the Livernois fun stuff. lol  I got the one I mentioned before the 2010 AWD MKS Ecoboost 96,000 something od miles..Silver exterior-black interior. Thanks for talking me into it bruce, you made me see the light and pull the trigger. As I was finishing up the paperwork, the salesman showed me an email he received from a gentleman who was driving 4 hours from Kentucky on Monday to more than likely purchase the car..I got her just in time. lol

• brucelinc likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·