Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By joining the Lincoln MKS Forum, you'll enjoy these site benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Bad PTU?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scbird1

scbird1

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
  • My MKS: mymks

Posted 13 August 2016 - 10:56 AM

Hi, this is my first post here as I bought a used 2012 MKS ecoboost. Love the car until i found a drip of brown oil under the car over nite. Didn`t leak for about a month after buying the car.Thought I would have it looked at so off to the Ford dealer i went. Turns out its not serviceable and its going to be a 6k fix. 

Anyone else have this problem? Car has 72k on the clock.

I called the Lincoln CC hotline and talked to rep and they are going to see what they can do for me.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental 3.0 twin turbo

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:29 AM

What is the complete diagnosis?  It should not cost 6K to replace a PTU if that is all that is wrong.   You are barely over the powertrain warranty.  I would politely ask for an AWA.  (after warranty adjustment)   My guess is that you will get some help for this.

#3 OFFLINE   scbird1

scbird1

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:36 PM

They said it was a internal leak. I hope I can get this fixed as I love the car. Best car I ever owned. I love forced induction as I have owned 7 Thunderbird SC`s though out the years.

I know the owner before me was older and didn`t hot rod it. Its a 2012 that has only been on the road for 2 years and 5 months. It sat on a dealer lot for 2 years and had all highway miles.

I will find out Monday. I also checked on the SHO forums and this does not seem to be a problem. Just lucky I guess.

#4 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 442 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:03 AM

PTU leaks are very common on all recent AWD Fords, just check the Ford Edge forum.  The leak is either a seal - which can be serviced for less than $1000 - or it comes out the vent tube, which is a sign of overheating and can often be dealt with be just changing the PTU oil.  Either way, changing the entire PTU is about a $2000 job, you should not accept anything more than that.

Edited by Waldo, 17 August 2016 - 10:03 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   lincwitsync

lincwitsync

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln MKS
  • Interests:Lincoln, Music, Family

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:17 PM

The guys are stating facts. Mine also failed at about 72,000 miles. According to the accounting copy of my PTU's replacement last year, the total cost to ESP was $1453.55  for the parts and labor was 6.5 hours. Part # AT4Z*7251*E and they topped off the transmission fluid (XT*10*BLV OIL). Not even $2000.00  If you are charged more than that, you need to get your Lincoln to somewhere else. I have read that the failure rate is high for factory installed PTUs installed in Taurus/Flex/Explorer/MKT/MKS.  There are no maintenance intervals or procedures due to the unit being sealed for life. Ford must anticipate life is 70,000 miles.  Simply a crock of ....

Edited by lincwitsync, 17 August 2016 - 01:21 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:39 PM

I have changed the lube in mine twice in 65,000 miles. Local dealers in my area will not do it but I simply suck the old lube out of the fill hole with a suction device and refill with fresh synthetic 75w140.

I think it is good maintenance especially since I take my car to the drag strip frequently. I also review the underside of the car frequently to make sure there are no external leaks.

#7 OFFLINE   lincwitsync

lincwitsync

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln MKS
  • Interests:Lincoln, Music, Family

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:10 PM

I have to ask if the PTU's drain/fill tube easily accessible? Are you still using the original PTU?

#8 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:08 AM

My PTU is original.   There is no drain plug.  There is a fill plug similar to what you would see on a manual transmission.  You have to suck the lube out through the fill plug hole.   On a lift, the plug would be easier to access.  I just drive the car up on ramps and then jack up the rear of the car so it is level.  Laying on your back and getting to the plug, sucking out the lube and refilling is not a job for someone who doesn't like to work with their hands and get dirty.   

#9 OFFLINE   scbird1

scbird1

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for the good info here. I should hear back from lincoln today. Car is at the dealer now getting a new front inner fender they left loose and it rolled up on the tire on the expressway at 70 mph. Need to find another dealer. Mark

#10 OFFLINE   polo

polo

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
  • Interests:New Lincoln MKS 2014

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:53 PM

Anyone know if this problem effects the newer 2013+ MKS?

#11 OFFLINE   scbird1

scbird1

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:44 PM

Just got the call from Lincoln and it looks like they can`t do anything for me on this. I`m going to let it go at this point as its one tiny drop of oil a night. Really dissapointed but i guess i`m not alone as all those folks with flex`s are in the same boat. I`m going to crawl under and try to see whats leaking as I had them put the car on a lift before I bought it and could not see any leaks anywhere. I`m sticking with the car unless the leak gets real bad. I wish it was something I could fix myself as I have done all my life. I`m used to rear wheel drive platform were you drop a drive shaft and pull a tranny. The stealer will not be getting anymore of my business. If anyone hears a recall on these let me know. Thanks , Mark

#12 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:22 AM

Did the dealer at least check to make sure the PTU was filled to the proper level?  There have been some cases of them being under filled.  The PTU only holds around 18 ounces.  It is important to keep it at the proper level.   Another possibility is that the "leak" was coming from the vent tube.   I have heard of that happening when it is over filled.  If the car sat on the lot for 2 years, it is very possible that the seal is leaking, though.  

#13 OFFLINE   scbird1

scbird1

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:34 PM

I did request they check the level but with this dealer i`m going to check it myself. 18 ounces wow that`s not much is it? Love what you have done with your car, your right its freaky fast.

When I get the car in top notch condition again I do the same mods. Do you know what HP your putting down to the wheels? My son has a 2015 mustang GT and it would be cool to try to hang with him from a light. 

• brucelinc likes this

#14 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:47 AM

I think Livernois tunes add around 60 HP and quite a bit more torque but I have never had my car on the dyno.   With a simple tune like mine, you will embarrass a Mustang GT from a light.   They often turn a higher speed at the end of a quarter mile so they are gaining but they will not get to the end of the quarter as quickly.    They have two issues - not nearly as much low end torque as a tuned Ecoboost and not nearly as much traction from a standing start. 

#15 OFFLINE   scbird1

scbird1

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:24 AM

Well I finally had my PTU replaced, another Ford dealer $1500. not too bad.  I went to pick the car up and they tell me my fob does not work,. Not a problem I had my other one with me.

On the way home I hear a sound like a rattle of a broken cat or heat shield. Get home jack it up and my boot on my lower ball joint is ripped up bad and part of it is missing. Well to make the story short the fob looked like it was thrown on the floor as the battery prongs were bent bad. Fixed that myself. The rattle was caused by the rotor dust shield was bent and hitting the rotor. Other than that I don`t have any leaks for now. I gotta tell you, I don`t see me at Ford or Lincoln dealer when it comes time for a new car. The car goes back on friday for a boot replacement on them. This will be the last time it ever sees a dealer. Still love the car though.

#16 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:12 AM

As I have said many times, I would rather have a colonoscopy with no pain reliever than have someone else work on my car.

#17 OFFLINE   CarThrasher

CarThrasher

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 MKS

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:36 AM

Took the plunge, drilled/tapped the PTU. Now has a 3/8 pipe tap drain plug (magnetic) like the fill plug. Took out the fill plug 1st to check oil level. Oil did not weep out as expected. Used a plastic zip tie as a "dip stick" to see if there was oil in it & there was. There was some "goo" stuck to the fill plug magnet. Captured the oil that came out during drilling operation; looked/smelled a little "toasty",but otherwise "clean". Car just turned 43,000. Replaced w/ Amsoil 75W/140 extreme duty synthetic; 18 oz. Used a pump bottle w/ clear plastic hose to re-fill ,til the oil just started oozing out. This unit sees a lot of heat. Rear catalytic converter nearby, the exhaust routes just underneath & the fact it is bolted to the transmission. Have not seen one myself, but understand these units are different on police package vehicles- more shielding & cooling.  Fill plug is hard to reach,area is tight. Opted to remove the middle portion of exhaust for more hand/arm access. Plan on changing the PTU oil after 3000 to see how the fill/drain plugs look. Never met a gear box that did not need an oil change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·