Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By joining the Lincoln MKS Forum, you'll enjoy these site benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Where is the THX multi channel amp?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jontyrees

jontyrees

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2011 MKS Ecoboost
  • My MKS: mymks

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:02 PM

Hi - I just got this MKS after 3 happy yrs with a 2012 SHO. I love the car, it's great - a lot like the SHO in every respect, but with definitely nicer interior materials, and the other differences we all know about. I have to admit I was hoping for more out of the THX II audio though. It's good, but other than greater detail, and lower bass extension, I think the Sony in the SHO sounded better. More dynamic - ballsier if you like. Drums hit harder, guitars rang out a bit more. That said, I'm wondering if there are any gain adjustments on the THX system amp. Did I read somewhere it's a Pioneer unit? I suspect there will be nothing to twist, but I thought I'd check. I had a 2004 Pontiac GTO that had a so-so Blaupunkt stereo with a 6x9" "sub" in the parcel shelf. It had it's own small mono amp, which actually had a single unmarked knob on it - turned out it was a gain adjustment, which helped me get that system to tolerable level.

It's not that I hate the THX system - just looking to liven it up a bit.

Failing that, has anyone had success simply switching out speakers? I think it's classic Ford 6x8 in front and rear doors, 2.5" and 0.75" in the dash, 1" in the a-pillars, more 2.5" and the sub in the parcel shelf? I'm thinking maybe just switch out the door speakers if I can find something that's proven to provide a bit more punch. If not, I'm ok as is.

2011 MKS Ecoboost, White, Black Interior, 201A, Ecoboost Appearance, Active Park

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   jontyrees

jontyrees

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:21 PM

Found the amp right away. It's behind the carpet in the trunk, just behind the rear drivers side seat, against the side of the car. Not a huge unit, but not tiny either. No gain controls though, or any controls actually.

I think I'm going to live with the stereo as is - it's pretty good. Still could use a little more punch, but it'll work.

• lincwitsync likes this

2011 MKS Ecoboost, White, Black Interior, 201A, Ecoboost Appearance, Active Park

#3 OFFLINE   Philb

Philb

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2012 MKS
  • Interests:motorsports

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:36 PM

My 2012 MKS didn't have any bass. The factory sub didn't do much so I replaced it with a Pioneer shallow mount and Pioneer mono amp.

I put sound deadener on the deck (both sides) but I still have problems with the deck cover rattling. I'm going to have to take it apart again and try adding some weight

or maybe stuffing it with fibre fill. 

I do have bass now (although at low volume on amp) and it made the whole system sound much better.

#4 OFFLINE   jontyrees

jontyrees

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:34 PM

My 2012 MKS didn't have any bass. The factory sub didn't do much so I replaced it with a Pioneer shallow mount and Pioneer mono amp.

I put sound deadener on the deck (both sides) but I still have problems with the deck cover rattling. I'm going to have to take it apart again and try adding some weight

or maybe stuffing it with fibre fill. 

I do have bass now (although at low volume on amp) and it made the whole system sound much better.

It's interesting how perceptions differ. I doubt there's a significant difference between the sub output in your system (pre Pioneer sub+amp) and mine, but you felt there was a lack of bass, while I'm ok with mine. I generally like a lot of bass too, and listen to quite a bit of Hip Hop music, so it's not that i'm bass-averse. I could stand for it to be a bit more substantial, but it's the drum and guitar kick that I'm looking for.

I'm still mulling the idea of replacing the door speakers, and perhaps parcel shelf speakers. I'm inclined not to for now, since i don't want to buy new speakers, take my doors apart, install them, and find that I like them less than stock. If I do go ahead, I'm most likely going with Polk db571 5x7s, since they have a 93db efficiency rating, can be had for $60 a pair, and Polk are generally well regarded. i have some unused Boston Acoustics 3.5" that i think might fit in the parcel shelf.

#5 OFFLINE   almahix

almahix

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2011 MKS

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:11 PM

I have a 2011 with the THX II. It sounded like crap. I got Ford to replace the amp, but it still sounded like crap. I replaced the 4 speakers in the doors, then the front deck and the back deck. Better but still not up to snuff. Then I disconnected the 2 1" speakers in the center of the front deck and got full stereo effect back. But I don't think it will ever sound great. Really disappointed. Next time I test drive a car I will not take the radio for granted.

#6 OFFLINE   Jimblimm

Jimblimm

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln mks

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:00 PM

Does anybody have the wiring diagram for the factory amp in trunk? Is the intuit with the 3 connected harnesses

#7 OFFLINE   polo

polo

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
  • Interests:New Lincoln MKS 2014

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:39 AM

Wondering what, if anything, you did to "improve" your sound...

Wondering if just changing out the amp would work... or just changing out the speakers... or...

Is the 10" sub a REAL sub, or is it one of those "shallow" subs...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·