Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By joining the Lincoln MKS Forum, you'll enjoy these site benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Transfer case

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Billyo

Billyo

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2009 MKS
  • My MKS: mymks

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:36 AM

Any problems with transfer case in AWD models?  Just had to replace one on 2009 MKS at 88,000 miles.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   gkarg

gkarg

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKS AWD

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:16 PM

Just before my warranty ran out - I recall seeing fluid leaking from under that area.  I looked under and found the transfer unit was leaking.  I took it to Ford and there was a specific process they had to follow to rebuild it.  It hasn't given me any problems since, yet... 

#3 OFFLINE   TSS1

TSS1

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 MKS Ecoboost; K&N CAI; Livernois Tune; Tint; factory 20 inch Permachromes

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:18 AM

PTU (power transfer unit) is generally reliable, but definitely an area of concern and there have been failures. Not widespread at all though.  I believe having the PTU fluid changed helps. I just had it done at my dealer. FORD claims it is lifetime fluid, which is nonsense.  Some dealers will refuse to change the fluid based on that "lifetime fluid" claim.  

Another good idea is to change the rear differential fluid (which all dealers WILL do).  Tranny, rear diff,  PTU - take care of them and hopefully they take care of you.  

#4 OFFLINE   TundraKing

TundraKing

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • Current Vehicle:2009 MKS 3.7

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:37 AM

My 2010 had 60000 miles when I changed the PTU oil. (had to use a rubber hose through the fill hole and an oil extractor)  It was BLACK and had some evidence of burnt oil.  I will changing it much more often now.  It only holds 500ml so one jug of fluid is good for two changes.

#5 OFFLINE   TILDEN1007

TILDEN1007

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 LINCOLN MKS ELITE PACKAGE
  • Interests:CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAMS AND CADILLAC BROUGHAMS 1990 TO 1992 AND 2013-2017 LINCOLN MKS.

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:05 PM

MY 2013 Lincoln Mks only had 35,000 miles on it when the ptu started leaking fluid. I purchased it with only 32,000 miles. Thank god it was still under warranty. Now that a new ptu was supposedly installed by a local Ford dealer in my area, the exhaust seems to be louder under the drivers seat than it was before the repair. I guess that is what happens when they have to remove the whole exhaust including the exhaust manifold. Also after a few months, I also notice that the front wheels have a wash board ride to them starting at 45 mph and they really rumble at 65 to 70 mph. The vehicle was a certified Lincoln with brand new tires. A week after the repair, I took it back to the dealership to have it checked for the louder exhaust issue and they had the technician who repaired it to go over it again. I feel that it should have been evaluated by a fresh set of eyes. I now have an appointment with the dealership that I originally purchased it from 1 year ago. I will let the technician drive the vehicle while i am in the passenger seat.  I will update everyone with the results. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·