Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By joining the Lincoln MKS Forum, you'll enjoy these site benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

New Tire Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hiimedd

hiimedd

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2014 LINCOLN MKS
  • My MKS: mymks

Posted 28 October 2015 - 03:37 PM

brucelink, good to hear from you and yes the noise is very loud and VERY irritating but I think I will take your advise and make an appointment at morrie's lincoln in minnetonka

and will post an update.   

• brucelinc likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental 3.0 twin turbo

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:48 AM

Yes, please let us know what the techs at Morrie's say about this.  Another thought is to test drive a different MKS to compare the road noise levels with yours.   Also, is the noise present on all road surfaces?  Typically, you will get some tire noise on concrete roads but virtually none on asphalt.  Just thinking of 494 north of Highway 12 in Minnetonka, there is a stretch there where I hear some tire noise but it is quiet again after I pass highway 55.  I am not really sure what the difference is but I think there is construction in that area now anyway.  Again, the Michelins on our Taurus are very quiet - probably the quietest tires I have seen.

Like you, I am fussy about road noise.  The Firestones that came on my Lincoln LS were stupid-noisy and I replaced those with Michelins and it totally transformed the car - for the better.  My MKS came with Goodyear RSAs and I didn't like them so the dealer swapped me the Comfortreds which are very quiet.  

#23 OFFLINE   gkarg

gkarg

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKS AWD

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:03 PM

I just put a set of winter - Yokohama IG20's on my 2009 MKS AWD this past weekend.  We had about an inch of snow/slush/ice on the roads this morning in spots.  Seem to grip well.

Pretty pricey though at $193.98 per tire, installed.

I'm not complaining about the warmer temps and lack of snow to try these out more!  Bring on the El Nino warmth!

#24 OFFLINE   Medic0ne

Medic0ne

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:LINCOLN MKS 2013
  • Interests:Music and emergency medicine

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:21 PM

I have the 20" Michelin MXV4. I just replaced them because the dealer found they had sidewall rot and could blowout. They had lots of little cracks in the sidewalks.
I had 50,000mi and they were supposed to be 55,000 mi tires. They are expensive and I bought them again not sure if I made the right decision.

#25 OFFLINE   CARR142

CARR142

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 LINCOLN MKX/Kona Blue
  • Interests:ALSO, 2007 FREESTYLE

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:40 PM

I question this myself, mileage or age warranty?
High mileage tires on an low mileage useage vehicle. 55000 or 5 years whatever comes first must be considered.
JEC

#26 OFFLINE   CARiD

CARiD

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln MKS
  • Interests:Sports, hunting

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:29 AM

Michelines are very nice tires, so you definitely did it right.

It is recommended to use the same tire size, however tires with smaller width actually provide a slightly better traction in the snow, you may also like this article about tires: Replacing Your Original Factory Tires 101

#27 OFFLINE   kito2112

kito2112

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:21 AM

I've got 77,000 on the AWD Ecoboost.

Here's my tire history- 245/45R20

My MKS came with the Michelin MXV4's. Nice tire, pricey. Wife drove on the rim of one and had to replace all 4 prematurely. The MXV4 is now discontinued and the MXM4 replaces it. I'm sure it's around $300/tire also. Seemed to be wearing nicely, until the wife fubar'd it up.

Next I went with the Pirelli PZero. got 18K and a little over a year out of them. Not impressed. At all. Swore I'd never run a Pirelli again.

Then I found the Yokohama YK520. Stiff tire. Good handling in corners, but hard on the road surfaces. Steers car into the ruts, rough over bumps. I got 35K and just over 3 years out of these. Got used to the rough riding MKS through this time...

Then the Discount guy recommended the Pirelli All Season plus. OH YEAH. This is what a Lincoln MKS should drive like!  My car handles like NEW! Smooth over the bumps, doesn't track into the ruts, handles nicely in the corners. Let's see how they wear...If I get 40K out of them, I'm recommending this tire #1.

Edited by kito2112, 08 May 2017 - 03:33 AM.

#28 OFFLINE   E_Net_Rider

E_Net_Rider

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2010 MKS

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:10 PM

I've got about a 1000 miles on Pirelli cinturato p7 all season plus.  245/45R20 99V.

Terrible tire as for handling. They do not want to roll as straight as the Michelins and result in more sideways movement on less than perfect road. They do steer a little easier. I feel a lack of confidence in this tire and that is without driving on anything wet, snowy, or having to do panic stop.

My vehicle, 2010 MKS 3.7L

The OE were Michelin Primacy MXM4.  I was happy with them but I developed a handling problem around 28K miles. Turned out the tires had worn in a bad way. 9/32 at shoulders but 7/32 center rib. It was not an alignment and tires checked monthly to within 1/2 pound to factory pressure. Michelin said "it just happens sometimes." Hesitant to use the same I moved up to Michelin Pilot AS3 but Ford dealer made a mistake in that they put 103Y on instead of 99V. I was very pleased with the first half wear. It was getting a little hearse beyond that. And Michelin had a really great warranty back then. Covered fully to 4/32 wear. And at that point I got four nails in one. It went down hill from there because Michelin switched to AS3+. Vehicle handled terribly and was likely a reject tire. It had balance issues 55-70 MPH and the mechanic obviously did not correctly torque wheel nuts because rotor on that one wheel warped in a few hundred miles.

So I was back in the hunt for tires and that AS3+ was very noisy on certain road surfaces.

I checked forums for this car and Taurus. There seemed to be a consensus that the Pirelli was a great tire. Softer riding and quieter. It might be a little softer on some surfaces but others it feels bouncy.  Quieter, maybe a little on some surfaces. It does steer easier but does not seem to want to roll straight with every minor bump in road inducing sideways movement or even sway like the sidewall is not standing up. They definitely do not produce confidence like either set of Michelin. I ran those Pilot at 120 for about 30 miles on two lanes with hills and never felt them weak in any way. I have not run the Pirelli fast but to this point I'd be afraid to.

The Michelin were always great on wet, standing water, and panic stop. They were far better on snow than the same size Goodyear RSA  on an 11 Lacrosse. I would not recommend that tire to anyone because I had two separate within 12K. It seems Goodyear has serious issues with tires staying balanced or not wear in unusual way. I considered Wrangler for my truck since that came on it. Dealer told me he would get them but his experience was that every time someone insisted he generally find one of four that would not balance properly. Talk at GM dealers and you find that Goodyear has lots of problems. Same issue with LS which they remade to LS2 and I'm hearing the same of RSA2.

The odd part in all this is I could have gotten the MXM4 cheaper than the Pirelli at the dealer.

#29 OFFLINE   kito2112

kito2112

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:10 AM

FWIW and clarification, my new tires are the Pirelli PZero all season plus. Great feeling tire for this car.

#30 OFFLINE   polo

polo

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
  • Interests:New Lincoln MKS 2014

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:24 AM

FWIW and clarification, my new tires are the Pirelli PZero all season plus. Great feeling tire for this car.

So you really liked the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus - but you went with a different tire?

Edited by polo, 27 April 2017 - 11:24 AM.

#31 OFFLINE   kito2112

kito2112

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:34 AM

No- I had the regular Pzero's, not even the Nero's. Soft rubber, only got a year out of them, 18K miles. Now I have the Pzero All season plus and love them.

I do not see any Cinturato P7 on my Pirelli's. They are Pzero.

I just wish they made them in a wider size then the standard 245, they look narrower than any tire I've had on it, for some reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·