Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By joining the Lincoln MKS Forum, you'll enjoy these site benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

New Tire Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nickt15

Nickt15

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2009 MKS

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

So its been a little while since someone posted here so i thought I'd post some "fairly" new tires i found while in the market for a new set. Firstly, I have a 09 AWD MKS sitting on P245/45R20 and chet, these tires are expensive. My car still has the O.E set from Lincoln, Michelin Primacy MXV4. These pretty things are nice, but sit 3rd on my list.

The brands i'm looking at are:

1. Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus (Grand Touring All-Season) $228/ea
  2. Continental ExtremeContact DW (Max Performance Summer) $192/ea
  3. Michelin Primacy MXV4 (Grand Touring All-Season) $255/ea
  4. Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 (Max Performance Summer) $155/ea 

Counting backwards let me highlight a few pros and cons for each brand.

4. Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 - This brand was recommend to me from a friend who uses them on his car and has had good luck with them. There is a tiny lag in the steering response but i doubt anyone would notice it. It is harsh on rough roads due to them being pretty firm, but the deal breaker for me, the lose of traction on wet roads, this is due to its narrow peak. This tire is pretty noisy. Yet it does have the best steering response. Not a good tire for MKS, LS maybe as its lighter. 

3.Michelin Primacy MXV4 - Does good on smoothing road conditions and least amount of tread noise and impact noise. One thing it lacks is the urgent steering response when compared to Continental and Pirelli, yet still handles nice to the drivers input. Good traction on dry and wet roads.

2.Continental ExtremeContact DW - Best job softening rough road conditions and provides the least tread and impact noise. At a cost for a comfortable ride it comes with a softer handling where it comes off a little less responsive than Hankook. On a dry track it has great grip but seems to be a little less responsive on faster turns. It does great with traction on wet roads but due to the softer handling, it seems to hold back a little.

1. Pirelli Cinturato P7 - P7 handles great being right behind Hankook V12. On the road its right behind Continental with smoothness on the road with less tread noise, but the impact noise is noticeable. This tire does handle a little under great when it comes to contact on wet roads and lacks good grip under hard braking. This is the ONLY tire that comes with LRR equipped.  

After all is said and done i'll most likely be picking up a set of the Pirelli P7's. I feel this tire is well round with smoothness, tread noise, comfort and the fact its LRR i'll save a little one gas. With a UTQG of 700 A A, this tire is one of highest rated monster around, this will most likely be the last tire i'd have to buy for my car. I would like to point out this is just my opinion and depending on the driver tires will vary. I myself is slow, never over 60MPH type of guy I feel the P7 fits my needs just right. If you're not worried about a particular feature, go with MXV4 its a good tire.

I really hope this helps those in the market for some new tires and are unsure of which route to go. Just keep in mind, MKS is luxury car, therefore, you want a luxury ride!!

• jkbolton-wi and hiimedd like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   robertlane

robertlane

New MKS Member

• Pip
  • 207 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Ford
  • My MKS: mymks

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

Michelin makes a mean tire and they test consistently well.  

Let us know which ones you're ultimately going with and why.

How to use this Forum:'

Quick tutorials are here

Software guide is here

#3 OFFLINE   BvilleStew

BvilleStew

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Current Vehicle:09 MKS/09 MKZ/98 MK VIII LSC/08 Fusion

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:53 PM

I replaced the MXV4's on my 2009 MKS AWD at 55,000 with the "new" Michelin
MXM4 245/45R x 20's (55K warranty/purchased @ Costco & not the old Primacy version!)
Currently have 5,000 miles on them & very satisfied.
I put 2,500 miles on them before winter arrived.
A bit firmer ride, pretty quiet, and the car "feels" tighter.
Now with the snow in MN & the winter that will not leave, these tires also have excellent traction.
So far two thumbs up!
I also have a '98 MK VIII LSC (summer only!) and that's a firm ride too on "V"series tires.
Guess I'm used to it.

Edited by BvilleStew, 23 March 2014 - 09:20 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   kito2112

kito2112

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:30 PM

I just put on the Yokohama YK520's, for a nice price...Had the Michelin MXV4's from the factory, nice tire but wife drove on a sidewall and I had to replace all 4.

Went with Pirelli Pzero, for the 2nd set, never again. Only lasted 20K miles and had a blowout.

Hope the Yoko's last and prove to be worthy, so far so good.

#5 OFFLINE   TSS1

TSS1

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 MKS Ecoboost; K&N CAI; Livernois Tune; Tint; factory 20 inch Permachromes

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

Both of you, please keep us posted.  I am a big fan of the 20" factory MXV4s.  I had the MXM4s as OEM on one of my Caddy's and did not like them as much  - but since it was a different vehicle, not really an apples to apples fair comparison.  I plan to get the MXV4s again in the Fall.  I have 20K on them now and they are still good - I just like to replace every 25K  - anal and over the top - I know it. LOL.   

#6 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental 3.0 twin turbo

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

According to Michelin's site, the MXM4 gives up some "comfort" to get better "handling" than the MXV4. It appears that the MXV4s are supposed to wear a bit better, too. Based on my priorities, I think I would prefer the MXV4s. Todd, if you would let your MKS forget it has twin turbos and a tune, you might get more miles out of your tires. :)
  • robertlane and BvilleStew like this

#7 OFFLINE   robertlane

robertlane

New MKS Member

• Pip
  • 207 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

According to Michelin's site, the MXM4 gives up some "comfort" to get better "handling" than the MXV4. It appears that the MXV4s are supposed to wear a bit better, too. Based on my priorities, I think I would prefer the MXV4s. Todd, if you would let your MKS forget it has twin turbos and a tune, you might get more miles out of your tires. :)

I bet it's hard to resist with those twins spinning up!  

The MXV4s have been around for a long time and Michelin has put a lot of resources into making sure that are exceptional. I once read that their defect rate was among the lowest in the industry too.

How to use this Forum:'

Quick tutorials are here

Software guide is here

#8 OFFLINE   lq1906

lq1906

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKS
  • Interests:Reading, auto enthuasiast for the American Luxury car including Buick, Lincoln, and Cadillac, Model Railroading

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

I was looking at buying some Hankook ventus s1 noble2 or the Yokohama AVID ENVigor or the Pirelli P Zero All season.  All these are high performance tires.  I refuse to buy the stock Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires again.  They had terrible handling and slid like crazy in the snow and rain.  Has anybody heard anything or have recommendations on performance all seasons at a decent price.  I consider myself a spirited driver but not really aggressive if that makes sense.  hey it's a Lincoln you can't push like you could a CTS or A6.  Also looking at some that won't wear out in 15 or 20K miles.

#9 OFFLINE   TSS1

TSS1

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 MKS Ecoboost; K&N CAI; Livernois Tune; Tint; factory 20 inch Permachromes

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

I bet it's hard to resist with those twins spinning up!  

The MXV4s have been around for a long time and Michelin has put a lot of resources into making sure that are exceptional. I once read that their defect rate was among the lowest in the industry too.

Yes, it is.  And my 0-60 runs are the worse for tires.  I spin them at takeoff a little and occasionally when all the stars align, going into second.   Also if I am going, say 20, and floor it, I will chirp them then as well.  I can't complain about the wear.....at all...... 

#10 OFFLINE   DallasMKS

DallasMKS

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Lincoln MKS
  • Interests:Cars, Nascar, home improvement

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

TSSI those Michelins are 60K tires...you should still have at least 1/2 the tread left..wish I was your neighbor I'd take them.   :)

#11 OFFLINE   TSS1

TSS1

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

I do have about 1/2 life left. Maybe a tad less because of my frequent fast take-offs.  

I have a friend who owns a few tire shops,  so we barter and I don't really pay for tires (not out of pocket anyway).  So, I get new ones at about half life and give him the old ones, which he sells  - much more margin for him on used good used tires actually.    

#12 OFFLINE   Nickt15

Nickt15

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 MKS

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:51 PM

Hi all!

I ended up going with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus.. At first the steering was a little tight and i didnt notice a drop in my MPG.. Yet, after two weeks of breaking them in i noticed a smooth drive. My mpg has leveled out and turning i got used too, ha. 

As this is a 700 rate these tires are heavy and a bit harder than the stock ones, yet i know i will have these tires for a looong time. 

Overall im really happy with them.

#13 OFFLINE   Tucker

Tucker

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

Here is a list of the 5 best tires one I never heard from

http://www.consumersearch.com/tires

#14 OFFLINE   StlrsFn69

StlrsFn69

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2010 MKS

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:22 PM

Gonna bring up an old thread but I'm in the market for new tires again.  By again I mean I replaced the Primacy MXV4's at 46K with Cooper RS-3A's.  I barely got 1year/17K out of them.  So back to the drawing board again. Any recommendations? Also live in SW Pa so I need a tire for all seasons and something that will "last" in the hilly conditions of SW Pa

#15 OFFLINE   TSS1

TSS1

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:17 PM

I went with the Pirellis myself in November 2015. Very happy so far. Better in snow and on ice than the OEM Michelins were and I am a huge Michelin fan. I just wanted to try the Pirellis because they were rated so much higher in reviews on Tirerack. No difference in gas mileage. Ride is as good (or possibly better) as Michelin but a bit more road noise. Still not noisy, but the Michelins were super quiet. All in all, I would pick them again.

#16 OFFLINE   Vishwa Somayaji

Vishwa Somayaji

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

@TSS1: which pirellis? Cinturato P7s?  Just for future reference when the time comes.  I still have a couple of years to go at the current rate.  Thanks.

#17 OFFLINE   TSS1

TSS1

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:03 PM

/\ yes. Cinturado P7s All Seasons. I based my selection in part on this:

http://www.tirerack....h=true&filter=y

#18 OFFLINE   anthony18_7

anthony18_7

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost w/appearance package

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:51 PM

I have been researching tires for my MKS and these P7 Cinturato's seem to be the ones to go with. However, I am a little surprised by some of your responses that the Pirelli's offer a little more road noise than the Michelin MXV4 because the Michelin's on my car are NOISY! Frankly, one of the big reasons I'm buying new tires is because I'm annoyed by the road noise the Michelin's have. Anyone else had this experience with the Michelin's? 

#19 OFFLINE   hiimedd

hiimedd

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2014 LINCOLN MKS

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:35 PM

Hello MKS owners,  I am also a very happy new 2nd owner of a 2014 MKS fully loaded with currently 32kmi.  The car was originally registered as  Manufacture Owned,

what ever that means but I think was driven by Lincoln staff.  "BUT" the one complaint - Very Noisy Tires, which are Michelin Primacy MXM4. I mean NOISY.

I will be leaving Minnesota the first of December for South Carolina and Florida where I will be spending the winter.   Because I can not deal with the noise, I will be

putting on new tires before I leave. So far I am still leaning toward Michelins Primacy MXV4's. I'm not all that concerned about burning tires or fast starts but absolutely

love kicking in the turbo's.  Does anyone have suggestions, with a quite cabin the most important.  I am envious of these MKS owners who say their cabin is very quite. 

I sometimes wonder if the Active Noise Control even works on my MKS.

#20 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental 3.0 twin turbo

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:28 AM

I am very surprised to hear the noise complaint about MXM4 Michelins.  My wife has a 2014 Taurus with those tires and they are EERIE quiet.  Hers are 18" so they wouldn't be quite as short of a sidewall as on the MKS but I can't imagine that making a huge difference.   Unusual wear patterns due to not rotating them or poor alignment could cause additional noise.  I suggest a close examination of your tires because I think something is wrong.  Also, could there be another source of the noise - such as wheel bearing or other mechanical issue?

I have Goodyear Comfortred Touring tires on my MKS and they are super quiet, too, but I don't think they are available in 20 inch size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·