Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By joining the Lincoln MKS Forum, you'll enjoy these site benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Owners

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental 3.0 twin turbo
  • My MKS: mymks

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:08 PM

I agree. I guess a simple answer is not in there vocabulary .

I am not sure whether to ignore this thread or actually try to take it seriously....  I am honestly not sure if some of the "questions" are an honest search for answers or just comments to obtain a reaction.   I will take a stab at actually providing some information:

NO, you cannot "disable" the ecoboost system.   In general, the 3.5 ecoboost engine uses direct injection, twin turbochargers, an intercooler and various sensors, devices, and a powertrain control module to make it all work.  It is a very high tech engine and a concept that the entire industry is either already using or moving to very quickly.  You see it on everything from Cadillacs to BMWs.

Direct injection is more efficient that port injection and allows a more exact amount of fuel to the cylinders.  It allows for a higher compression ratio that creates better efficiency, too.  A very high pressure fuel pump is used and it, along with the fuel injectors create a bit more noise than the old-fashioned port injection.  Some describe the sound as a bit like a diesel engine.  The twin turbos are run by exhaust gases and create pressure to force more air into the engine when power is demanded.  In effect, they can make a 3.5 liter engine develop power like a 5 liter engine.  High pressure from turbos mean heat so an intercooler is used to cool the air before it is forced into the cylinders.   

In normal driving or just cruising, the turbos are spinning but not creating boost that is fed to the cylinders because not much power is being demanded.  That allows the 3.5 ecoboost to deliver very good mileage when power is not being used.  Press on the accelerator harder, however, and the system jumps into action delivering more air and fuel to the cylinders and the result is dramatic power.  This system is sort of like having your cake OR eating it....you can have good mileage or great performance but not necessarily both at the same time.  HIghway cruising with an MKS ecoboost will provide mid to high 20s MPG - about like the 3.7.  The performance difference, however, is startling if you choose to use it.

The ecoboost MKS is geared differently than the 3.7 AWD version.  The engine turns much slower at cruising speeds which allows for lower engine wear, less noise, and very relaxed cruising.  The horror stories that you might find on the Internet are primarily about early F150s that had an intercooler that was actually too efficient.   That issue has been corrected.  Any other complaints are very few and mostly anomalies.  You can google a problem for almost any car or any engine and find lot of "data" that indicates something terrible.   I suggest you put it in context with the number of vehicles actually produced.    What per-cent of owners have a problem?  Who will likely be more expressive...someone who is happy or someone who has a problem...no matter how minor?  Some of us tend to make a mountain out of a molehill.

While I don't like all of Ford's marketing, they have done a fabulous job with the ecoboost family of engines.  If I recall, over 60% of F150s use ecoboost and there are huge numbers on the road with millions of happy owners.  There are Taurus SHOs with well over 100,000 miles on them, some of which were tuned for more power and put on drag strips.  Many police departments are using ecoboost police interceptor vehicles.  The 3.5 ecoboost is a phenomenal success story and the next generation (currently in 2.7 liter size) will likely prove to be even better.

Edited by brucelinc, 06 May 2015 - 08:07 AM.

• drolds1 and TSS1 like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#62 OFFLINE   TSS1

TSS1

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 MKS Ecoboost; K&N CAI; Livernois Tune; Tint; factory 20 inch Permachromes

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:25 AM

I take it from the last few replies... this isn't the best place to have an intelligent conversation regarding the MKS...?

No, it's a decent place top have a discussion about the MKS. If you want to have a detailed discussion and get accurate information and details about the 3.5 MKS/SHO Ecoboost engine specifically, ecoboostperformanceforums or ecoboostownersforum is where you want to be.   A lot of  information that is being disseminated in this thread is inaccurate, outdated, and exaggerated.   Anybody making a decison as to the 3.7 or 3.5 based on this discussion is not doing their homework. And for the record, this is not a 3.7 owners versus 3.5 owners debate, at least from my perspective. Both are good engines. 

Also, for the record,  "Ecoboost" is not a feature. It it the name of the engine line. Like Vortex, Duramax, Triton, or Hemi. You cannot "disable" the Ecoboost.   You can try to disable the turbos I suppose......but to disable the engine, I still only see killing it as an option.  

Edited by TSS1, 06 May 2015 - 08:34 AM.

• brucelinc likes this

#63 OFFLINE   TSS1

TSS1

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 MKS Ecoboost; K&N CAI; Livernois Tune; Tint; factory 20 inch Permachromes

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:40 AM

I agree. I guess a simple answer is not in there vocabulary .

When you say "there" vocabulary, I trust you are referring to Bruce and my inability to converse in writing intelligently?      Okay,  noted.  

Edited by TSS1, 06 May 2015 - 09:04 AM.

#64 OFFLINE   polo

polo

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
  • Interests:New Lincoln MKS 2014

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:26 AM

I really don't think you want to be pointing out anyone else's spelling mistakes... ;)

It it the name of the engine line. 

#65 OFFLINE   polo

polo

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:18 AM

A lot of  information that is being disseminated in this thread is inaccurate, outdated, and exaggerated.   Anybody making a decison as to the 3.7 or 3.5 based on this discussion is not doing their homework. And for the record, this is not a 3.7 owners versus 3.5 owners debate, at least from my perspective. Both are good engines. 

Just to show I am trying to do my homework...

I emailed Lincoln/Ford days ago and asked about the EcoBoost in the MKS (2013+ models) - they never bothered to respond.

Doesn't exactly instill confidence...

#66 OFFLINE   TSS1

TSS1

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:56 PM

^ If they ever get back to you, I would expect FORD to downplay any issues and protect the Ecoboost name. While that would certainly support my position, at least theoretically,  I don't think it is an objective source as to Ecoboost reliability.   

I would again suggest visiting the various sites  dedicated to the SHO/MKS Ecoboost vehicles and posing some of your question/concerns there.    ie   ecoboostperformance.com ; ecoboostownersforum.com.     The F150 Ecoboost sites are not completely applicable, as the F150s have had issues not found in the SHO/MKS/FLEX/MKT.

#67 OFFLINE   TSS1

TSS1

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:04 PM

I really don't think you want to be pointing out anyone else's spelling mistakes... ;)

I was just trying to clarify who he was referring to by "there".    However, now I do see his error though in grammer (not spelling).    Thank you for bringing that to everyone's attention. That was not the point in my post.   I was clarifying/naming who he was referring to.       You should really not be so critical of grammer/spelling -   this is just a car forum and sometimes people just type fast or have auto-correct.  I would not call somebody out over grammer or spelling, like you did.   

#68 OFFLINE   polo

polo

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

^ If they ever get back to you, I would expect FORD to downplay any issues and protect the Ecoboost name. While that would certainly support my position, at least theoretically,  I don't think it is an objective source as to Ecoboost reliability.   

Oh, I realize this... I just wanted something from Ford stating that there was nothing wrong with the EcoBoost - in case something would go wrong with the one I purchase, etc...

And, they obviously are not willing to state that - which is quite concerning....

Edited by polo, 06 May 2015 - 01:18 PM.

#69 OFFLINE   polo

polo

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:17 PM

I would not call somebody out over grammer or spelling, like you did.   

Yes, you did... and I was pointing out the fact that you did the same...

But it's all good!

#70 OFFLINE   TSS1

TSS1

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:57 PM

Being incapable of having an intelligent written conversation, I'm not sure that I am actually capable of picking up on a grammatical error. I do appreciate the vote of confidence though. :-)

And I do appreciate that the banter has remained relatively respectful and nobody has lowered themself to personal attacks or name calling yet. I agree, It is all good! (I was looking for that little hand shake emoticon, but can't find it).

Edited by TSS1, 06 May 2015 - 03:59 PM.

#71 OFFLINE   BullyMKS

BullyMKS

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 mks
  • Interests:Suzuki TL000R
    Moddified power wheels (4yr old)
    Guns
    RC cars
    Softball

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:28 AM

Their^

#72 OFFLINE   BullyMKS

BullyMKS

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 mks
  • Interests:Suzuki TL000R
    Moddified power wheels (4yr old)
    Guns
    RC cars
    Softball

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:28 AM

Their^

#73 OFFLINE   MKSECO2013

MKSECO2013

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 MKS ECO

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:18 PM

2013 MKS ECO. currently stock.

#74 OFFLINE   MKSecobeast

MKSecobeast

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Lincoln MKS AWD Ecoboost Thunderstorm CAI, Evenflo t-stat, Motorcraft 0.30 plugs, 3 bar map, Livernois 93 stage 4+x, 7' mounted tablet running torque pro, Factory 20's, tint
  • Interests:Cars, Music, Art, Comedy, Film

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:56 PM

2010 MKS AWD Ecoboost.. Just traded my 2010 MKS FWD 3.7 for it!  B)

• brucelinc and Clepto74 like this

#75 OFFLINE   MKSMike

MKSMike

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2010 MKS EcoBoost
  • Interests:Cars, Camping, Biking, Hiking, Kayaking, Dogs

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:34 PM

2010 MKS AWD Ecoboost.. Ultimate package, red candy, cashmere interior, 20" 10-spoke cast-aluminum chrome rims, wood door trim, active park assist (very cool) 43,000 miles, just traded my 2010 MKZ in for it, have wanted an MKS since driving my father-in-law's 3.7 AWD back and forth from NY to FL 3 times, I loved driving it but the Ecoboost is incredible, so glad I bought this car, can't wait to get the 3 bar map sensor and Livernois tune!

Attached Files

Edited by MKSMike, 06 June 2017 - 01:38 PM.

• brucelinc and TSS1 like this

#76 OFFLINE   Clepto74

Clepto74

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2014 MKS

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:05 AM

Just bought a 2014 MKS ecoboost. Cold weather package, technology package, and elite package.

I'm new to the site does anybody have suggestions for me for better gas mileage or appearances.

Edited by Clepto74, 24 June 2017 - 08:07 AM.

#77 OFFLINE   Clepto74

Clepto74

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2014 MKS

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:05 AM

Oops double posted

Edited by Clepto74, 24 June 2017 - 08:07 AM.

#78 OFFLINE   CarThrasher

CarThrasher

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 MKS

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:39 AM

2013 ecoboost MKS. Stock all around. 1st Lincoln. 38,000.  Added a catch can system from RXP. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·