Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKS Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By joining the Lincoln MKS Forum, you'll enjoy these site benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Transmission flush versus drain & fill

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental 3.0 twin turbo
  • My MKS: mymks

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Has anyone changed their transmission fluid yet?  I think it is good maintenance even though it may not be required.  With my Lincoln LS, I had the dealer flush it through the cooler lines.  In previous Fords, I always pulled the pan, drained the torque converter, and then replaced the filter and fluid.

The 6F55 transmission does have a  drain plug so it would be pretty easy to do a simple drain & fill.  Does anyone know if there is a drain plug on the torque converter?  I would really like to do this maintenance myself.  I would almost rather have an internal organ removed than take my car to a dealership.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated!

Bruce

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Euphonium

Euphonium

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Current Vehicle:'11 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
  • Interests:Alpine skiing: Classical music: Classic Mustangs & shows; Stock market; Traveling;

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Last year I had the local Ford/Lincoln dealer perform an AT service.  They power flushed the transmission to the extent of blowing off the dip stick seal of the tranny.   They claimed it was not the result of a power flush, and I had a couple of hundred dollars extra to pay.

The car in question: 1995 Ford T Bird with 4.6L V8.  From now on I advocate dropping the pan and replacing the filter while in there.

#3 OFFLINE   gkarg

gkarg

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKS AWD

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

I had my local dealer do a tranny power flush on my '09 MKS last year.  It had about 56K on the odometer - so it was due in my opinion - especially since it was used and I have no idea how the previous owner drove it.  (Although - I have my suspicions with the condition it was in when I really looked close after getting it home.)

It seemed to helped the shifts and overall tranny function of my MKS.

I still have my '00 LS and have had that tranny flushed 3 times now at the same dealer.  With 135K on the odometer - that tranny has shifted nearly flawlessly since the day I bought it new. 

I think of the $100 power flush as an insurance policy - since I plan to keep both cars for a while.  I'll have another one done probably at 100K.

#4 OFFLINE   TSS1

TSS1

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 MKS Ecoboost; K&N CAI; Livernois Tune; Tint; factory 20 inch Permachromes

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

Personally, I dont like flushes myself.  I have heard several stories about problems after flushes that scare me.

#5 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental 3.0 twin turbo

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

I had my LS flushed because it was just too much of a pain to do it any other way. They have no dipstick so the refill procedure was not easy for a do-it-yourselfer.

The MKS has a drain plug on the pan and a dipstick for refilling. I don't know if you can drain the torque converter like you could in older Fords but I doubt it. Unless you can drain the torque converter, you will not get out all the fluid with a simple drain of the pan. I suppose exchanging part of the fluid is better than nothing. I don't think the filter is replaceable on these transmissions.

#6 OFFLINE   TSS1

TSS1

MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • PipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 MKS Ecoboost; K&N CAI; Livernois Tune; Tint; factory 20 inch Permachromes

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

My "horror" stories don't relate to the MKS, so take my advice with a grain of salt I guess.  But, they were so frequent, that they scared me enough to accept that a little old fluid would remain. .     

#7 OFFLINE   jnoland

jnoland

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 MKS

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

Has anyone ever changed the trans filter?  I am guessing Lincoln owners don't do a lot of DIY maintenance.  I have had 3 previous GM products.  Dropped the trans pan to change the filter, and then welded in a drain plug.  I would change the trans fluid between 10K and 15K miles.  You are replacing about 85% of the fluid, and at the cost of the fluid it was cheap insurance.  Never had a problem with any of the transmissions.  Planning to do the same to the MKS.  Bought it used 5 months ago - 2009 with 22K miles on it at the time.  Approaching 28500 and want to do a trans service and wondering if anyone ever changed the filter.

#8 OFFLINE   drolds1

drolds1

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:34 PM

Has anyone ever changed the trans filter?  I am guessing Lincoln owners don't do a lot of DIY maintenance.  I have had 3 previous GM products.  Dropped the trans pan to change the filter, and then welded in a drain plug.  I would change the trans fluid between 10K and 15K miles.  You are replacing about 85% of the fluid, and at the cost of the fluid it was cheap insurance.  Never had a problem with any of the transmissions.  Planning to do the same to the MKS.  Bought it used 5 months ago - 2009 with 22K miles on it at the time.  Approaching 28500 and want to do a trans service and wondering if anyone ever changed the filter.

In order to access the filter in your 6F50 trans, the case has to be split open  which necessitates pulling the trans from the car.  It's a "lifetime" filter unless the trans needs to be serviced for repair.

#9 OFFLINE   Paul Escude

Paul Escude

New MKS Member

• MKS Facebook Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

i vacuum out 2 quarts of transmission fluid and add 2 quarts.vacuuming out 2 quarts out of the tranny fill tube is the easiest way to change tranny fluid.

#10 OFFLINE   McTrician

McTrician

New MKS Member

• MKS Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Lincoln MKS

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:50 AM

i vacuum out 2 quarts of transmission fluid and add 2 quarts.vacuuming out 2 quarts out of the tranny fill tube is the easiest way to change tranny fluid.

Never thought of this.

I did a drain and refill. There's a little suck factor because in order to make sure the level is correct you need to remove the air filter box on the 2014 MKS. Not that bad though. I drained and filled at 30k. When I bought the car it had 20k on it and wanted to make sure it was good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·